28 replies to this topic

#16 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

I've been asked to split the non-Smith street posts to another thread. I think I'll label it Excessive Drinking and Eating. Knowing the membership, it should reach 40 pages in no time.

I'll lock this one temporarily until the posts have been moved.

ETA - OK, all done. The new thread is under General Topics here. Why should New Yorkers be the only gluttons and drunks?

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,694 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

I think my observation that the food at Clover Club is surprisingly good should be somewhere in this thread as well.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jul 31 2008, 01:16 PM) View Post
I think my observation that the food at Clover Club is surprisingly good should be somewhere in this thread as well.

Sorry. I moved it because the first 3 or 4 posts on the new thread wouldn't have made sense if I had left it. There's no option to copy a post and leave the original copy behind.

Your point about Clover Club is well taken.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#19 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jul 31 2008, 01:16 PM) View Post

Sorry, I assumed you were drunk when you posted that.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,694 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Chestnut closing. Steve R. probably knew it was coming, but it seems a shock.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Chestnut closing. Steve R. probably knew it was coming, but it seems a shock.

It's been coming for a year or so. Actually, the building's been for sale for the last 6 months by their landlord... listed at Corcoran if anyone's interested. We feel bad for co-owner/chef Daniel Eardley, who became a friend over the years. If he's interested in going into another kitchen, I'm sure his creds. will get him a top position. He's been great since he arrived at Chestnut and we'll miss him. By the way, although it never made it onto the menu, the man can make mean fried chicken and ribs.

This space available… contact owner.

#22 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

sigh

ABCDEFGHIJKLNMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

bob marleycorn must die 

this food left intentionally bland

and i swear that i don't have a pun

originality is a bitter

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,694 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

No offense meant to Seth, but somebody should tell these guys that Eastern Parkway is not West 53rd St..
Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Wow so Saul will become one of Park Slope's best restaurants.

Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,694 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Am I crazy to think that nobody's going to go there to eat at night? What do you think?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

Saul has expanded his presence by opening a new place of his own (Red Gravy - eh), cheff'ing at an interesting place in Red Hook for awhile (cant remember the name but it was part of the Cacao Prieto complex on Conover - now closed I think) & generally getting his name out there in many other ways.  I think this is his way of taking a shot to see if the new Bklyn is advanced enough to support its own Modern concept.  Like you, I'm not sure it will.  But it might.  And, from what I understand, he's not giving up the Smith St space and will probably try something new there as well, so he can always retreat as needed.  I've never been a fan of Saul's but he's a very good chef and always has a nice buzz around him.

Totally unrelated to this but, since I was on this thread I noticed that the Chestnut closing was a couple of posts up.  I assume you know that Daniel E. is the chef at Cole's, right?

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,694 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

It isn't really whether Brooklyn is "ready". The difference between The Modern and this is that MOMA is in an area with a lot of foot traffic at night. I realize that it doesn't rely on drop-ins, but it isn't like diners have to go way out of their way to an otherwise empty streetside to get there.

The "Institution Park" side of Eastern Parkway is dead at night. A void. It's just hard to imagine a big crowd wanting to be there for dinner. (OTOH, I guess you could argue that the Museum's "First Saturday" parties are always packed.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,694 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

Totally unrelated to this but, since I was on this thread I noticed that the Chestnut closing was a couple of posts up.  I assume you know that Daniel E. is the chef at Cole's, right?

Yeah. I guess I need to get there.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

Dont miss the fact that this was used by some to criticize Tom C's opening of Riverpark.  It's amazing what a parking lot will do.  And the Museum is right across the street from tons of residential buildings, getting more and more high end every year.  Not everybody there has a kitchen like Seth's.