#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:48 AM

http://topics.nytime...eggs/index.html
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Aug 12 2008, 09:48 PM) View Post

are you channeling Rail Paul?

#3 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:58 AM

Recently, I have been buying eggs from Grazin' Angus Acres at the Union Square Market. I think they're fabulous -- the taste is brilliantly clear and the hue of the yolks tends towards orange.

#4 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Posted Image

Duck egg strozzapreti

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

Posted Image
The finished dish: strozzapreti with spinach, onion, prosciutto and parmigiano-reggiano.

#6 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

Posted Image
The finished dish: strozzapreti with spinach, onion, prosciutto and parmigiano-reggiano.

That looks delicious. What recipe / method did you use?

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:41 AM

I made the pasta dough in the food processor, using 1 duck egg that weighed about 3 oz., 2 tablespoons of water and a cup of flour. The dough was a bit wet and I added some more flour until it formed a ball around the blade. Then I kneaded it by hand for a minute. I rolled it out until it was very thin, then cut strips about 1" x 2" and shaped those into rough tubes.

The sauce is just a chopped onion, sauteed in olive oil, with chopped spinach leaves added after the onion is golden. I added a handful of tiny diced prosciutto ends. I cooked the pasta for a couple of minutes, then transfered the strozzapreti to the spinach pan, turned everything a few times and sprinkled grated cheese over.

The pasta method is adapted from Lynne Rossetto Kasper. The addition of the water makes it much easier.

#8 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

Posted Image

Very nice, Sandy.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#9 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Very nice, Sandy.

Thanks, Jason.

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

I made the pasta dough in the food processor, using 1 duck egg that weighed about 3 oz., 2 tablespoons of water and a cup of flour. The dough was a bit wet and I added some more flour until it formed a ball around the blade. Then I kneaded it by hand for a minute. I rolled it out until it was very thin, then cut strips about 1" x 2" and shaped those into rough tubes.

The sauce is just a chopped onion, sauteed in olive oil, with chopped spinach leaves added after the onion is golden. I added a handful of tiny diced prosciutto ends. I cooked the pasta for a couple of minutes, then transfered the strozzapreti to the spinach pan, turned everything a few times and sprinkled grated cheese over.

The pasta method is adapted from Lynne Rossetto Kasper.
The addition of the water makes it much easier.

From the old Splendid Table cookbook? I want to try and make this over the weekend. I have a whole bed full of baby spinach to use up.

#11 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

From the old Splendid Table cookbook? I want to try and make this over the weekend. I have a whole bed full of baby spinach to use up.

Yes. I mashed together some of her pasta methods. You have to be flexible. So much depends on the dryness of the flour, the humidity, the size of the eggs, etc. I made up the sauce myself. Traditionalists frown upon the use of the food processor, but I find it works just fine, as long as you don't overprocess

When I make this with chicken eggs, I use 1 large whole egg plus 1 yolk and 2 T. water for a cup of flour. That makes two (not generous, but good for dieters) portions.

#12 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yes. I mashed together some of her pasta methods. You have to be flexible. So much depends on the dryness of the flour, the humidity, the size of the eggs, etc. I made up the sauce myself. Traditionalists frown upon the use of the food processor, but I find it works just fine, as long as you don't overprocess

When I make this with chicken eggs, I use 1 large whole egg plus 1 yolk and 2 T. water for a cup of flour. That makes two (not generous, but good for dieters) portions.

Traditionalists be damned. :lol: Do you think this dough would work in the KitchenAid pasta roller/cutter attachment? I hesitate to make the KA recipe because it's too much for us, but if your version is just right for two people, I might try it more often.

Also: all-purpose flour?

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#13 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Traditionalists be damned. :lol: Do you think this dough would work in the KitchenAid pasta roller/cutter attachment? I hesitate to make the KA recipe because it's too much for us, but if your version is just right for two people, I might try it more often.

Also: all-purpose flour?

I use whatever unbleached AP flour I have. I suppose it would be even better with 00 Italian flour, but I've never bothered. The dough would certainly work in the pasta roller, as long as it isn't too sticky. The beauty of strozzpreti is how easy it is to make. You can always stretch the dough a bit more, if necessary, once the pieces are cut. Yesterday's dough rolled out so easily that I could have cut acceptable fettucine.

#14 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

It looks like it has the perfect tooth to it. I've been craving pasta and it's supposed to be rainy in Seattle this weekend...
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#15 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Lynne Rosetto Kasper warns not to let the dough overheat in the food processor. Use the steel blade but only for 30 seconds. Stop processing for a minute to allow the dough to cool off, then resume for another 30 seconds. That should be enough time for the ball to form.