64 replies to this topic

#61 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:07 AM

tabouleh...especially if you also have lots of mint.

#62 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,541 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:30 AM

stone?

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#63 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:41 AM

FYI a bartender pal has just whispered to me that if you want to freeze cucumber water/juice for ice cubes it is best to dilute it with an equal amount of water, 'freezes better, makes nicer cubes'.

Presumably because cucumber juice has stuff in it that lowers its freezing point
below 0C. Pure, undiluted juice would likely lead to slush rather than solid cubes.

#64 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:04 AM

FYI a bartender pal has just whispered to me that if you want to freeze cucumber water/juice for ice cubes it is best to dilute it with an equal amount of water, 'freezes better, makes nicer cubes'.

Presumably because cucumber juice has stuff in it that lowers its freezing point
below 0C. Pure, undiluted juice would likely lead to slush rather than solid cubes.

Aha -- like watermelon purée/juice!

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#65 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:20 AM

A riff on tzatziki using cucumbers, purslane, yogurt, minced garlic, olive oil, some cumin and coriander.
Future Legacy Participant.