36 replies to this topic

#1 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

Drank this today at Craft Bar and liked it a lot. Where might it be bought at retail in NYC?
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#2 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

Ah, a British beer. I know Dowel Products on First Avenue near 6th Street has Samuel Smith beers, but can't testify that they have exactly this one. If I pass by, I'll go and see.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#3 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Aug 28 2008, 11:16 AM) View Post
Ah, a British beer. I know Dowel Products on First Avenue near 6th Street has Samuel Smith beers, but can't testify that they have exactly this one. If I pass by, I'll go and see.

I called. They carry Samuel Smith Organic Lager but not "pure brewed." Thanks.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Not the answer to your question, but I just pulled up a list of bars in the city purported to serve it:

link
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Call Bierkraft in Park Slope.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#6 Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:33 PM

I may be wrong but I think the organic lager is pretty much an organic copy of t'other one so would suggest you give it a try. The 'pure brewed' suffix indicates it complies with the German Reinheitsgebot which is pretty rare in the world of British filtholagers.

I used to drink Sam's beers a lot as a youth in Yorkshire.
I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:58 PM

Sam Smith owns (or did, anyway) so many pubs in the West End of London that I drank a fair amount of their beer too.
Elect-a-lujah

#8 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(Adam Lawrence @ Aug 28 2008, 11:33 AM) View Post
I may be wrong but I think the organic lager is pretty much an organic copy of t'other one so would suggest you give it a try. The 'pure brewed' suffix indicates it complies with the German Reinheitsgebot which is pretty rare in the world of British filtholagers.

I used to drink Sam's beers a lot as a youth in Yorkshire.

I will. Thanks. I did find a website that will ship the product to me. Sales tax proibably equals shipping and carfare. I'll see.

#9 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

Sams Smiths beers in London are an abomination.

It is notorious for travelling badly from Tadcaster, anywhere South of Sheffield and it is almost guaranteed to be disgusting.
Can't speak for the bottles though.

Slapsie

#10 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:30 PM

Whole Foods have some Sam Smiths beers. Don't know about this one.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#11 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(Slapsie Maxie @ Aug 28 2008, 01:47 PM) View Post

It is notorious for travelling badly from Tadcaster, anywhere South of Sheffield and it is almost guaranteed to be disgusting.

Slapsie

The draught (tap) beers, yes - I agree. Some nights in Fitzrovia and around Portland Place, I seem to recall it was very hard to find an alternative.

The missing bit of background detail is that Sam Smith pubs served only Sam Smith beers: that's not usually the case with British pubs. (I have a vague idea that they might not be permitted to do that any more.)
Elect-a-lujah

#12 Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

Sams is an unusual company. Where most small brewers in the past were regionals, they built a national estate of pubs with a remarkable spread of houses for their size. The result was they had to deliver beer to one pub in Oxford, one in Bristol, a few in London, etc, etc. Probably not that fantastic a business model. Yet their pubs were always among the best value, especially in London. I used to drink in the Cock on Great Portland Street, London, quite regularly in the early 90s, and it was not bad. Then they realised that their business model sucked, and they removed cask beer from most of their pubs, and got into trouble with the CAMRA lobby.

I doubt I have had more than a couple of pints of OBB in the last five years. But I still have a fond memory of the company, because it was a light in a dark beer world for many years.
I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

#13 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

Slapsie

Perhaps my palate for beer is pretty pedestrian, but the bottle I drank was delicious. Hoppy without bitterness, full tasting, with a clean mouth feel and no sour aftertaste.

#14 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:00 PM

In my view, anything created in Yorkshire should stay in Yorkshire.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#15 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE(Melonious Thunk @ Aug 26 2008, 08:04 PM) View Post

Slapsie

Perhaps my palate for beer is pretty pedestrian, but the bottle I drank was delicious. Hoppy without bitterness, full tasting, with a clean mouth feel and no sour aftertaste.

I suspect the bottles travel a lot better than their draft and I have never tried the lager. I will have to give it a try this weekend and report back.