193 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,771 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:06 AM

i've been drinking a lot of pegu clubs of late. leavened with the occasional martini.

what are the cocktails you go to on a regular basis?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current post: indian home cooking 1: rajma (red beans)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:11 AM

I have been a complete fool for Perfect Manhattans for the last couple of months. Very unusual for me since I usually drink gin through the summer and the darker stuff in the winter.
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."

#3 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:32 AM

my big 3 are negronis, manhattans, and martinis.

#4 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:58 AM

Manhattans and Gibsons.
-- Jeff

TioPacho.com

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#5 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

Gin and French, gin and tonic and the occasional Negroni, I have been known to take a pink gin on occasions too, but my current favourite is a 500ml bottle (that's how they tend to sell them over here) of strong beer, Yorkshire Square Ale from the Black Sheep brewerery topped up to the pint with still water. It reduces the fizziness surprisingly well and I can pretend the beer is weaker than it really is. smile.gif
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#6 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Gin and tonics in warmer weather, old-fashioneds and bourbon manhattans when it turns chill. But I've also been downing my fair share of rhubarb magaritas this summer, and pimping them to my friends. Very much a girlie drink – fellas seem not to go for them much.

#7 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

My theory is, that to test the chops of any mixer, there are only five drinks that matter

The Martini
The Old Fashioned
The Sazerac
The Manhattan
The Daiquiri

You may have your preferences as to how they are prepared, but there is nowhere to hide when making these cocktails and I tend to drink them in rotation. They are all about balance, most other cocktails are fruit and fancy. Not necessarily bad, just not to my taste.

I have been drinking my Sazeracs made in the original way with Cognac, but like them with rye whiskey too.

Slapsie

#8 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

Rhubarb magarita? My goodness.

As Slapsie says, a mixer should be judged by how s/he fixes the classics. A martini (actually a Gibson) is usually my call. Recently in The Player, Soho, was asked for my gin of choice - they were finding out if I realised that a martini would come with gin by default, and doing it very subtly.
Side by side, hand in hand
We all stand together

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(cstuart @ Sep 13 2008, 10:32 PM) View Post

Me too.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,140 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

Last Word
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE(cstuart @ Sep 13 2008, 07:32 PM) View Post

Those are my top 3 as well. Had a negroni tonight as a matter of fact.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#12 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

I had a negroni last night, too, at Blue Ribbon, where the bartender tells me they use Alkermes rather than Campari. It was excellent.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#13 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:58 AM

Aviations, Sazeracs, Daiquiris, Manhattans, Negronis, Ramos Gin Fizzes, Last Words, Sidecars, and the Me Me Me are my standbys. Though rum is my current obsession.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#14 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:07 AM

My home bar as it currently stands, there will be some expansion and re-org soon.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#15 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Sep 17 2008, 01:07 AM) View Post
My home bar as it currently stands, there will be some expansion and re-org soon.

Rocky

Bloody hell.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson