193 replies to this topic

#181 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,717 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

actually, i think i'm probably not too far behind at at about 35-37 bottles total, but 17 of those are scotch (malts and blends). your collection just looked a lot bigger.

ah, youth. i'm now at 198 bottles of single malt whisky alone....

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary (current review: highland park 12)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#182 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

actually, i think i'm probably not too far behind at at about 35-37 bottles total, but 17 of those are scotch (malts and blends). your collection just looked a lot bigger.

You must have expanded your bar area.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#183 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

Beautiful photo, Helena. I'd buy it (really).

oh thank you :blush:
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#184 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,717 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

You must have expanded your bar area.

all the way into the basement.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary (current review: highland park 12)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#185 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Got Last Word thirsty after following a discussion on the NYC Cocktail Bars thread. Naked and Famous is the mezcal variation (DelMaguey Chichicapa , Aperol, yellow chartreuse, and lime juice). Great stuff. Source - F&W Cocktails 2012.

Posted Image
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#186 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Out of curiosity - about how many have you initiated? That's quite an inventory.

I've got a few bottles that have been opened for a year or so with no discernible decline in quality but that's a lot of hooch.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#187 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,717 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Out of curiosity - about how many have you initiated? That's quite an inventory.

i have about 86 open right now (and the total is down to 191). trying to get that open number down to 50 by the end of the summer. my bottles are stored away from sunlight and fluorescent light, and i tend to finish things quickly once they get below the 30% full mark. for more treasured bottles that will be drunk over many years i use private preserve--but that's mostly out of paranoia: i've not noticed much deterioration in bottles open for more than 3 years even without the gas. and there are old-timer scotch whisky writers who've reported bottles open for decades without noticeable deterioration.

~homer simpson

#188 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

i have about 86 open right now (and the total is down to 191). trying to get that open number down to 50 by the end of the summer. my bottles are stored away from sunlight and fluorescent light, and i tend to finish things quickly once they get below the 30% full mark. for more treasured bottles that will be drunk over many years i use private preserve--but that's mostly out of paranoia: i've not noticed much deterioration in bottles open for more than 3 years even without the gas. and there are old-timer scotch whisky writers who've reported bottles open for decades without noticeable deterioration.

I've heard top notch single malts will last a decade with little change (but not blends for whatever reason). I've had a bottle open for 8 years that still tastes the same to me (but also holds a lot of sentimental value)
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#189 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

so I discovered that Avery (Bittermens) has a line of liqueurs out as well now. Picked up his Commonwealth Tonic Liqueur...which is designed to provide maximum bitterness not possible in a tonic water...allowing you to mix it with club soda to make what would theoretically be the best G&T ever. it's all true. If you're a G&T drinker you have to pick this up. It will blow your mind. Makes an incomparable G&T. Began with 1.5 dry gin (up as needed but begin with this), .75 Commonwealth, 5 club soda. the result is spectacular.

Mayur has also created a cocktail using Commonwealth, the Eva Green (the Cocchi Americano should give away why it's called that): 2.25 gin, .75 Cocchi Americano, .5 Commonwealth. Made this last night. it's terrific. I haven't been this excited about a new cocktail ingredient in some time.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#190 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

So surely somewhere an enterprising mixologist must have come up with a cocktail he/she has dubbed the 'Polar Vortex'. Any ideas? Perhaps a gin-based drink blended with crushed ice, with some sort of aquavit and an herb-based bitters?

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#191 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Can it just be one of Don Lee's laser cut ice cubes in a glass by itself?

#192 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,547 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

It has to be something that you can toss into the air that solidifies before it touches ground.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#193 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

It has to be something that you can toss into the air that solidifies before it touches ground.

That's probably Eben then.

Marta, My Dear

Follow My Blog:  Tasty Travails

#194 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Been trying my hand at The Tailspin.  Now all I need are some episodes of Tailspin Tommy to view.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia