131 replies to this topic

#31 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:14 PM

All of this mediocre BBQ is why my Weber Bullet is my new best friend. After lousy BBQ at Zarda's and the KC airport, I smoked a shoulder and brisket last Saturday night. Everything was ready in time for kickoff on Sunday. The best $150 cooking tool investment I ever made.

Ditto.

#32 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:21 PM

Ditto ditto. (Well, except for the Weber bullet part.)
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#33 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:51 AM

In last week's issue, NRN reported on the US group's plan to turn Blue Smoke into a BBQ chain resto.

Full disclosure: Ate there a few days before Wilf. Good hamburger, weiss bier and Fitz's root beer. Fry bread has deteriorated. St Louis Ribs were good, but yes on the bland side. French fries were indistinguishable from frozen.

I find Virgil's to be more uncomfortable than BS. The food is better, but marginally so, IMO. Of course neither compare to the places I've sampled in the South.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#34 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:46 PM

Virgil's is certainly a less comfortable and less attractive environment, but isn't it amazing that with all the fanfare, Meyer's operation produces food which is marginally worse than Virgil's?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#35 SFJoe

SFJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:54 PM

Had perfectly decent lean brisket here for lunch over the weekend.

But the important news is that they claim to have 2002 Huet Clos du Bourg demi-sec Vouvray on the list for $34. This is a good retail price for the wine. The wine is also one of the few on the list that IMHO will go well with spicy food (other things will be fine with dishes that aren't too hot). It's got some residual sugar, and great acid balance.

I'm tempted to go back just to drink the wine at that price. I didn't actually order any, so I don't know if they've run out, or fixed a typo, or some such, so don't come back to me if it doesn't work, but I thought I'd let people know.

Cheers,

Joe

#36 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:56 PM

decent lean brisket

Isn't that an oxymoron?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#37 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:18 PM

It should be an oxymoron, but at Blue Smoke they offer you a choice of lean or fat. After twice eating the fat, I am not sure I wouldn't order lean next time.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#38 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:53 PM

I had the burger there today. Slightly worse than Veselka, which isn't much of an endoresement. Parts of it were oddly watery and the color of the meat was surprisingly light. I refused a taste of the brisket across the table, as it was ordered lean, but I didn't see any signs of enthusiasm there either.
I never said that

#39 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:50 PM

A nice off menu special (check ahead for availability): cornmeal-crusted soft shell crab sandwich with a spicy chipotle mayo. Very good. Of course, it didn't require any BBQ-ing. The rib sampler plate was relentlessly okay. Service, delightful.
Elect-a-lujah

#40 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

not very encouraging thread but i guess we have no choice - going to Jazz Standard tonight: i'm thinking of trying the Rib Sampler...
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#41 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

Look on the bright side: the food is much better than any other jazz club I can think of. :wub:
Elect-a-lujah

#42 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

They have a very good selection of bourbons. The deviled eggs were not bad.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#43 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:02 PM

Yes, and their peanuts are also exceptionally good.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#44 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

The bbq baloney sandwich. Another good thing.
Elect-a-lujah

#45 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

Grasping at straws, are we?

Actually, a fistful of peanuts and a couple of shots of bourbon sounds like a fine meal.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.