131 replies to this topic

#91 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

If you want to let a restaurant know you're coming (or there), the simple way to do it these days is tweet about it with an "@" tag.

Most don't check in real time.

I thought this example was rather impressive, because no one there actually had my name.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#92 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Everybody's seen that drawing Josh Ozersky posted.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#93 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

But they wouldn't know it's THE Marc Shepherd or Kim Davis.

It would be a simple matter to walk in and say "I am THE WilFrid".

#94 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,675 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Not usually necessary.

Posted Image

#95 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,675 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

That costume makes me look slimmer, doesn't it.

#96 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Whatever anyone thinks of Blue Smoke as a bbq restaurant, I think their $13 burger and fries is a steal.  The burger may not be perfect ( I think it's a touch too compacted), but last night the fries were, and the burger itself was cooked perfectly to order.  Couple that with the usual Meyeresque service at the bar (BPC Blue Smoke, fwiw), and it's a winner.

#97 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,675 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

It's a nice casual restaurant, I agree.  I like the smoked bologna sandwich, and I've had a good softshell crab sandwich there too.

#98 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,934 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Whatever anyone thinks of Blue Smoke as a bbq restaurant, I think their $13 burger and fries is a steal.  The burger may not be perfect ( I think it's a touch too compacted), but last night the fries were, and the burger itself was cooked perfectly to order.  Couple that with the usual Meyeresque service at the bar (BPC Blue Smoke, fwiw), and it's a winner.

Burgers at Blue Smoke was the beginning of the end for eG for some of us almost 10 years ago (! January 3, 2004).* Good to know it's still okay. I haven't gotten the burger at Jazz Standard in a while, and lately have been getting ribs and/or brisket at BPC Blue Smoke.

*Actually, it was the NY Times article the next day that did it. Which is the source of my sobriquet.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#99 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

What is this "eG" of which you speak?

#100 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,675 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Was that the Burger Club argument?

#101 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,443 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, what was the deal with that?  I remember that three or four seemingly normal people (all women?) got suspended or banned for something.  And then a bunch of definitely abnormal people resigned in protest.  

Hush, hush.  Keep it down now.

#102 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

There were seemingly normal people posting on a foodboard once?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#103 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

*Actually, it was the NY Times article the next day that did it. Which is the source of my sobriquet.

So of course I had to look it up. And I remember reading it back when it was first published. I never dreamed then that someday I would know you.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#104 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

And then there's this.

I'm reminded of my Kazakh friend's polite comment after a dinner I took her to at which she was the only non-MF poster, in response to my remark on the way home that it must have been boring to listen to people talking about internet political disputes:

I thought it was very interesting. I'm always interested in the way communities are constructed.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#105 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,934 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

So a bunch of us on eGullet (that's for you, joethefoodie ;) ) would go to places like Molly's and the burger place in the Parker Meridien, and eat hamburgers. It was fun, and mostly just a way to have a good time; nothing really serious. When we went to Blue Smoke, the NY Times sent a reporter and photographer. To a person, we all described to the reporter how we met, what we did for this, etc. Not once in the article did he mention eG even though we all did. Fat Guy was not happy, to say the least. I don't know if anyone was banned outright, but eventually I got busted down to "general member" and would have had to submit the essay on "Why I Should Be Permitted to Post" to be permitted to post. Ah, the good old days. Some of the best friends I've made came from there.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table