169 replies to this topic

#1 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:06 AM

I have opined before that WF drives me crazy---it''s the only real supermarket in my neighborhood so I am pretty much forced to shop there. After my last two experiences there I have decided that WF is like a bad boyfriend--it seduces you with flash and promises and then proves to be totally unreliable, and, incapable of providing satisfaction.

How, at noon on a Saturday, can they be all out of cilantro, jalapeno peppers, flour tortillas ?? The weather was pretty rough yesterday, and there was no Super Bowl last night, so I doubt there was a run on these items. Most annoying. And last week they had no cumin seed and no Italian parsley. WTF??

And they continue, insidiously, to eliminate name brands and try to foist off their house brand which I wouldn't mind were most of the stuff not such utter crap. The breads are the absolute worst. They used to have a lot more Balthazar and Sullivan Street products on offer but their house bakery has swallowed the bread department.

I don't mind having to do a little legwork for fish and meat and cheese but it would be nice to be able to set off for WF secure in the knowledge that you could be guaranteed the damn bunch of celery you want.

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#2 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:24 AM

I am in total agreement with you on whole foods. yuck

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,235 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE(Daisy @ Nov 16 2008, 07:06 PM) View Post
And they continue, insidiously, to eliminate name brands and try to foist off their house brand which I wouldn't mind were most of the stuff not such utter crap. The breads are the absolute worst. They used to have a lot more Balthazar and Sullivan Street products on offer but their house bakery has swallowed the bread department.

The switch to house brands has been going on for a year or so, although different stores are introducing it at different speeds. CEO John Mackey has mentioned the initiative on past conference calls. House brands are enormously profitable for Whole Foods, so expect to see more of them.

The WF superstore in West Orange NJ has been expanding its fish, butcher meat, aged meat, and kosher lines during the past few months, so that may be a local initiative. Lots more selection.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,791 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:14 AM

Cilantro this time of year is flavorless anyway, so its lack in the store is not a problem. The only reason I have to go to the new WF near me is beer (surprisingly reasonable prices) and chicken. And maybe some meats. But I do not see it as a positive addition to the neighborhood. dry.gif

Is it too far for you to schlep down to Chelsea Market? At least there you can get produce and fish.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:20 AM

They have ostrich eggs, though, whenever you need them!
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#6 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:20 AM

The transition to house brands seems to happen when any grocery store reaches a certain level of volume/success. In Manhattan, I've been dismayed by the same at Gourmet Garage, Fairway, Zabar's, Citarella...
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#7 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,732 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE(Daisy @ Nov 16 2008, 06:06 PM) View Post
I have opined before that WF drives me crazy---it''s the only real supermarket in my neighborhood so I am pretty much forced to shop there. After my last two experiences there I have decided that WF is like a bad boyfriend--it seduces you with flash and promises and then proves to be totally unreliable, and, incapable of providing satisfaction.

stone?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary (current review: the hmongtown marketplace food court, st. paul)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#8 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

WF in Louisville fits that description exactly (perhaps Stone does as well?). It started off gangbusters with excellent meats and cheeses and a fine variety of interesting organic vegetables. I pretty much skipped the interior aisles I cannot comment on the staples, but even the bakery offered our fine locally baked bread by Blue Dog. Fast forward six years later and everything has been dumbed down and scaled back. I don't even shop there anymore.

#9 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

Here in my part of central jersey, WF is still the best place to shop for meat. For everything else including excellent fish selection and very decent vegetables i rely on Wegmans.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#10 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Nov 16 2008, 09:14 PM) View Post
Cilantro this time of year is flavorless anyway, so its lack in the store is not a problem. The only reason I have to go to the new WF near me is beer (surprisingly reasonable prices) and chicken. And maybe some meats. But I do not see it as a positive addition to the neighborhood. dry.gif

Is it too far for you to schlep down to Chelsea Market? At least there you can get produce and fish.

I don't buy fish at WF--as I said above that's something I don't mind doing legwork for. But it would be nice not to have to take an eight block hike to buy cilantro. Or pastry flour. Or any other staple they just happen to be out of. I was in WF one night not long ago and there was no low fat milk FFS.

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#11 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,923 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

But it's organic.

And she was.

#12 puricelli

puricelli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

I was having this very same thought last night as I tried to buy applegate farms thick-sliced bacon and found to my surprise that they no longer carry it. However, they do carry the new Whole Foods brand thick-sliced bacon, which is more expensive than the applegate farms product. For all I know, applegate farms is doing the private labeling, but it sort of smacks of Wal-mart. And don't even get me started on their bread. Horrible. Unfortunately down here in atlanta, this is the best thing we've got.

#13 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,923 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

But they're organic. Which means that they're better for you and the environment.

And she was.

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,370 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

And local.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#15 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

And sustainable.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52