168 replies to this topic

#106 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Really, it's beyond my understanding why any careful shopper would go there. The list of items I'll buy there is limited to at most a half-dozen,* and those only because I have in fact done my homework and know that the price is not outrageous and the thing is what it claims to be.

WF is a testament to the gullibility of the population. And people's lack of savvy while thinking how savvy they are. As my grandmother and mother would say, America goniff.

*Beer, yogurt, milk, avocados when on special, Kozy Shack rice pudding, and... um...well, less than half a dozen. :P

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#107 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

well, the BSA (Board of Standards & Appeals of the City of New York) had a unanimous vote yesterday, regarding the soon-to-be built Whole Foods in Gowanus.

the choice of location is striking, to say the least. heirloom tomatoes in full view of a Superfund site, how tasty. :blink:

#108 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

well, the BSA (Board of Standards & Appeals of the City of New York) had a unanimous vote yesterday, regarding the soon-to-be built Whole Foods in Gowanus.

the choice of location is striking, to say the least. heirloom tomatoes in full view of a Superfund site, how tasty. :blink:

They're not growing them on site, for fuck's sake. In fact, it would be a surprise if they were grown anywhere within the infamous 100-mile (let alone 50-mile) radius.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

#109 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

They're not growing them on site, for fuck's sake. In fact, it would be a surprise if they were grown anywhere within the infamous 100-mile (let alone 50-mile) radius.

Juicy, thin skin, local tomatoes are in the farmers markets in south Florida right now. They don't ship well, but they could easily get $6 a pound in the NY metro area.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#110 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

Sell a line of canned tomato products called San Marzano, with a label containing Italian text, and the producer called Something Imports, mention in small print in the back that these are US grown tomatoes (that may or may not be San Marzanos).

This drives me crazy too. To be fair, other stores carry the same brand, and I find it annoying there too.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#111 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,663 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

I may be alone in this, but my decisions on where to shop are often driven by a mixture of opportunity and convenience.

#112 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,151 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Sell a line of canned tomato products called San Marzano, with a label containing Italian text, and the producer called Something Imports, mention in small print in the back that these are US grown tomatoes (that may or may not be San Marzanos).

This drives me crazy too. To be fair, other stores carry the same brand, and I find it annoying there too.

i was most amused when i first saw these on the shelf and read the label until i noticed that they are often higher priced than actual canned san marzano tomatoes

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#113 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

I may be alone in this, but my decisions on where to shop are often driven by a mixture of opportunity and convenience.

Out here in Jersey, I go to WF when I don't have the strength to drive twice as far to the Fairway.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#114 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

You are not alone. :)

#115 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

With Pike Place Market as my backyard I don't go to WF very often; which is about 9 blocks away. Inline with the cheap beer discussion they had a 12-pack on sale for $4.99 last month... Copper something or other that was surprisingly good.

I wonder why they don't sell rabbit as the PCC (the first and last word in organic groceries) carries it.

WF is my source for buffalo, but after reading this thread it wouldn't be surprised if it was toffalo.

#116 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Really, it's beyond my understanding why any careful shopper would go there.

maybe cause some people don't have ten hours to shop at 8 different stores for one meal.

with that said, in many places WF is often the best option around (in Austin Central Market (of course Central Market is owned by Walmart's primary competitor -- HEB (and that actually is who Walmart considers to be their primary threat at the corporate level)) was better but in the DC area WF is actually cheaper than Harris Teeter (in general) and has much better fish and meats).

of course, almost everywhere WF is primarily a restaurant (the prepared foods being the largest part of their business) and they blow other grocery stores away in that respect. and as Wilfrid noted, they're often the best source for beer (except in Montgomery County where they're not allowed to sell it)

now if this thread were moved to the NYC forum it might become more accurate :)
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#117 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

I should note that my general view of farmer's markets is that they are primarily mechanisms by which yuppies scam other yuppies (similar to "artisanal" stuff made in Brooklyn or Austin basements) so what do I know?

I mean, I've always loved IPA but now everyone loves IPA and about 80% of all new microbrews appear to be an IPA....and we've got 60 minute hops, 90 minute hops, 120 minute hops, extra hops (actually that SN Torpedo extra is really good and well priced at like $7.50 for 6)...so I'm getting kind of cynical.

#118 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

I liked the cheese cave in the Houston St. location when it first opened, but it's gone now, replaced by pickles. Ranitidine likes the beer selection. Bait and switch seems to be a common tactic in the chain.

#119 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

I liked the cheese cave in the Houston St. location when it first opened, but it's gone now, replaced by pickles. Ranitidine likes the beer selection. Bait and switch seems to be a common tactic in the chain.

they closed the cheese cave? that's unfortunate. I can well believe - that pickles proved to be a better seller in that location these days though...retail B&M today (the ones that survive that is) relies upon pretty extensive demographic customer data for each individual location in terms of what is on the shelves, what is displayed in the front etc. etc. less bait & switching and more...we didn't sell any of that charcuterie but pickles made in someone's Brooklyn outhouse fly off the shelves...while in a different location it could be the exact opposite.

#120 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,663 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

The beer selection is good, but I basically stopped going once they closed the cave. Essex Street market more appealing.