138 replies to this topic

#1 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:56 AM

You can't have a food forum without a St John thread, so here it is. And here is the link to the menu which is updated twice daily and has me crying at my desk.

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#2 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:52 PM

squirrel liver toast :)

know what I am doing for supper

#3 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 01:03 PM

Can I come too?

What d'you bet they take the squirrel toast off this evening's menu :lol:

v

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:16 PM

I may be cooking squirrel this weekend.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:19 PM

I am off tonight with brother o mine

two squirrels saved

Sure it will play havoc with my digestion particularly as I have to get up at 3am to get a cab to the airport

#6 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:08 PM

I am off tonight with brother o mine

two squirrels saved

That's OK, I'll just go and eat worms :ph43r:

v

#7 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:23 PM

prompted by the fair V, Robin and I headed to St J ce soir

We had to plead our way to a 6.45pm table and promise to have it back to tom by 9pm.

We went straigth to our table upon arrival and we were handed the menu by a young woman who was an exact doppelganger for Sophie Ellis Bexter.

After a few hits & misses, I am pleased to report that this was another excellent meal.

I began, of course, with the squirrel livers on toast. Pate to all intents and purposes and served with some sour cornishons. Very good indeed. Robin had a foie terrine which was expensive ( 8 ) but very very good.

Then to the main courses. We decided to share a course of claf's sweetbreads with fir apples and a special of braised shoulder of suckling kid with poached shallots. The kid was wonderful, if slightly over powered by the sweetness of the shallots

With this we drank a passable gigondas

We almost didn't have pudding, but Rob was taken with the stem ginger ice cream and I was then, obviously, forced to join him in a plate of forced rhubarb fool with honey brioche. Ah well, you just have to sometimes

Bill inc service which was slow tonight, was a not cheap 70 a pop, but for such experiences, money counts for little

Now I am home pondering on a 3am cab to the airport and watching Lindersfarne on a DVD of The Old Grey Whistle test

7/10

S

#8 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 05:09 PM

I may be cooking squirrel this weekend.

Wilfrid, did you?
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:42 PM

Didn't have time to trek back to this mysterious purveyor (it is possible to be in the middle of nowhere even in Manhattan). I'll get around to it.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#10 Tuckerman

Tuckerman

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:55 PM

I tasted some of Slapsie's squirrel at St John last year. Blech! Definitely not for me. Gamey and pungent in all the wrong (for me) ways.

#11 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:43 PM

Not nearly enough meat in Spain, so, before my chum heads home, we had supper at St J

Perhaps the best meal there ( excluding pig fests ) for a couple of years

A nostalgic glass of Manzanilla to begin, then to table

Starters of Dogfish ( the belly flaps of the shark we were told ) and salad and Crispy pig skin with cornichons. Both quite sublime.

Main courses of Oxtail and mash ( rich and meaty ) and chitterlings with dandelions ( perhaps my fave St J dish of all) perfect in every respect.

Puddings were the Eccles with Lancashire and the indescribably good forced rhubarb fool with brioche.

Bill for two with a decent bottle of something or other came to 95. A bit more than Spain, but worth every penny

As we were leaving, Tom offered us a glass of Vielle Prune from Fergus's special stash, a large bottle with the words Fergus: Keep Off written on it

While we were drinking this, Lee, the guy who now runs the bakery chatted to us and ended up bringing us a huge slap of the apple cake with jersey cream to eat with our stickies.

My friend liked St J. I don't blame them

S

#12 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 03:49 PM

Salt lamb and caper sauce on the menu this evening :sob:

v

#13 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 03:52 PM

v

ah, maybe time to drop into my neighbourhood joint again. Must be almost a week since I went

Gloating glee

S

#14 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 03:57 PM

v

ah, maybe time to drop into my neighbourhood joint again. Must be almost a week since I went

Gloating glee

S

Harrumph :angry:

v

#15 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 04:00 PM

v

Gloating glee

S

Harrumph :angry:

v

I may not though. You see the glory of living so close to St J is I can pop in or not as i please

:D