138 replies to this topic

#136 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

Dinner st St. John was a big disappointment. It was well summed up by my friend, who generally couldn't care
less about food, who, having ordered the braised hare, said, "it looks like a bowl of broth with a hunk braised meat in it. That's pretty much what it tastes like. Whats the big deal?". He was right. Sure, it was hare, but it still tasted pretty much like braised shank of whatever, just with a milder flavor.

The service was cold. We sat for about five ,inutes and the waitress came by and asked "are you ready to order or would you like some more time?". "I think we're going to start with drinks," says I. She leaves and comes back in five minutes, "are u ready to order?". "we'd like some wine.". "oh, ok, should I come back?".

I ordered the marrow bones, which I've never had before. dont think i'll have them again. What's the big deal? You spoon out this glop of whitish adipose fat, which kind of melts onto the toast and you put some salt on it. Tastes like toast with melted fat.

The crawfish and dill were served cold and had no hint of dill. Just four large cold crawfish. What's the big deal?. The terrine, however, pork, hare and pigeon, was quite nice.

I had the smoked eel. Two not large pieces of eel, heavily smoked to taste like smoked Gouda from the supermarket. Served with a very strong horseradish sauce and some very good beets. Thes roast pigeon was almost bloody rare. The braised hare was, well, like a hunk of braised meat in broth. I would assume that most places in eastern Europe would ladle out something similar from the big pot in the kitchen. The welch rarebit, again a first for me, tasted good on the first bite but is too rich too eat. The spring greens were the best part of the meal.

They were out of the bread pudding, which is good because I didn't need anything that heavy. Instead I had the blueberries, meringue and cream. Would have been better with fresh blueberries, but these had been cooked a bit and tasted like when I made blueberry jame with old pectin that didn't set. Good, but too much after such a heavy meal.

I guess in england this is good food. :).

And she was.

#137 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

Oh well. I had a good meal there around 3 years ago. Times change. Shoulda gone to a pub, man.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#138 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

I guess in england this is good food. :).

Hey, in England what with the recession and all, any food is good food. When I walked into St John last Tuesday, all the food was used up and I had to order the Chilled Newspaper Pulp Soup followed by Braised Shoe Soles with Refried Goats' Turds and Dandelion Mash.

Oh how I wish I'd had what you had :(

#139 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,094 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

See this.
Bar Loser

MF Old