74 replies to this topic

#61 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:21 AM

In other South Siyeed notes...I discovered this summer that Mawadda (great Middle Eastern place on Rainier) has a sister restaurant of the same name in downtown Burien that opened this past spring. Maybe not quite as good as the original, but much easier for me to get to, so I'm happy.

And Rami just opened another place in West Seattle on California, just North of Admiral. I think the Burien place is family, but not the same owner?

#62 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:33 AM

Owners of the two are brothers, I believe.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#63 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Have been meaning to try Mango Thai in SeaTac for a while and got there for lunch today. Wow, really wow! Great food, that to my taste at least, leaned more Vietnamese that what I typically think of as Thai. We barely got past the appetizers section of the menu, so there's a lot more to try. We had:

- Fried shrimp rolls. Not really spring rolls, actually large prawns wrapped and deep fried with garlic inside and a sweet chili sauce.
- Salad rolls with tofu and the Green Leaf-esque crisp spring roll wrapper running through the middle.
- Chicken wings served with fried garlic, basil, lemon grass and nuts, with a spicy dipping sauce.
- Fried rice with pork, tomatoes and snow peas. A distant relative of Chinese fried rice, and delicious in its own right.
- Chicken sate skewers, served with a lucious peanut sauce. Kids loved it.

Very nice restaurant and priced a bit above where I usually expect a Thai place to be, still good value. Along with Copperleaf, definitely the go-to place near the airport and worth the trip for Thai/Vietnamese food enthusiasts.

#64 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Greedy people that we are, we went back to Mango for dinner on Friday. Had many of the same things, but added pork belly cooked with basil, bell peppers and onions. Great combo of crisp skin and chewy (in a good way) meat and subtly spicy sauce.

#65 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Have to ask....

El Flamingo in Boulevard Park? :lol:

~Jason
www.bloatitup.com

#66 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Have to ask....

El Flamingo in Boulevard Park? :lol:

~Jason

Tried to go one time when they first opened. No printed menu, just pictures on the wall. You know that great smell that taquerias and taco trucks have?...yeah, not this place. Couldn't communicate with the people that I wanted tacos or I didn't understand that they weren't available. Haven't made any other attempts. Too many other good taco options around.

#67 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Tried Fonda la Catrina in Georgetown this past weekend. The proffer is authentic Mexican dishes made with higher quality ingredients and more refinement than your standard taqueria or truck. The result is mostly successful, though I would like the flavors and heat to be bolder. I had the Cochinita Pibil tacos and scrat had the Milanesa torta. My son shocked the server by ordering the tongue tacos, which may have been the best thing we had. Very nicely done space. Not sure it's worth a trip, but definitely a good option in G-town.

#68 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

Paul and I joined tighe and scrat for dinner at Copperleaf last week. Tighe contacted them in advance to see if they would do a tasting menu for us, which they did, including wine pairings. We had cocktails, and seven courses, plus an amuse, and the total was $105 per person. Yes, you read that right. And that included a healthy tip! To say this dinner was a good value is a huge understatement.
Here's what we had:

Salmon wrapped around brioche, truffled egg sauce

Pickled oysters, lemon verbena shave ice

Spring Vegetable Tasting
Sweet Carrots, Pickled Beets, Young Turnips, Breakfast Radish, Nicoise Olives

Washington Field Rhubarb
Grilled Leeks, Toasted Pecans, Meyer Lemon Fleur d'Sel

Sweetwater Blue Prawns
Chick Peas, Piquillo Peppers, English Cucumber, Almond Milk

Figs with grilled and shaved porcinis

Pleasant View Farms Foie Gras
Black Pepper Shortbread, Preserved Kumquats, Melted Endive

Hawaiian Cobia
Broccolini, Maitake Mushrooms, Golden Raisins, Chorizo Vinaigrette

Kodiak Island Halibut
Braised Oxtail, Young Turnips, Caramelized Apples, Pickled Ramps, Sweet Peas

Anderson Ranch Lamb Saddle
Spiced Bresaola, Pearl Barley, Preserved Grapes, Roasted Shallots

Milk-Finished Berkshire Pork
White Beans, Spring Onions, Toasted Pumpernickel, Bourbon Maple Syrup

Malted Milk Ice Cream
Banana Chiboust, Candied Holmquist Farm Hazelnuts

Coconut Sorbet
Caramelized Pineapple, Lime Pound Cake, Lemongrass Syrup

The vegetables, the rhubarb with the leeks and the halibut were all spectacular. The foie was a no brainer (and a huge portion - as were all of the proteins.) The only thing I didn't care for was dessert. The hotel is like an oasis in the airport area but I will say the "dining room" is a little odd. Basically you are eating in the lobby of the hotel. I felt a little exposed and it certainly isn't intimate. That said - I highly recommend checking the place out and getting the tasting menu.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#69 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Looking back over the menu, there were many really good dishes. The 'salads' may have been the highlight for me, really interesting and delicious. Both fish being paired with some type of meat?...a chef after my own heart. The pork dish was actually five different preps (roasted chop, belly, fried rillette, shoulder cooked with the beans, mini grilled ham & chees on rye) and had the potential to be a fantasy plate for me. Unfortunately, the whole thing lacked seasoning, the sandwich wasn't good and the beans were more al dente than I care for. To be fair, the crispy rillette was one of the best bites of the night. I liked the coconut sorbet quite a bit, especially the ground lime zest, coconut and salt mixture sprinkled on the plate. The other thing I would note is that the platings are striking, like very few other places in town (Canlis, Book Bindery, ?...).

Perhaps the most important conclusion from the night is that it is in fact possible to find a meal/restaurant that Lauren and I agree on! :lol: :P

#70 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:27 AM

I had a fresh fettuccine with oxtail and porcini ragout at 909 in Burien tonight that I would put up against any pasta dish in town, ANY. Tremendous depth of flavor and lush mouth feel.

ETA: Full disclosure, the overall experience was heightened by an excellent glass of Vino Nobile de Montepulciano.

#71 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

We met Paul's family at Cal's Classic American at Kent Station for a late lunch on Saturday. Cal's would be the place where Shannon Galusha went after leaving Bastille, so I was very interested in trying it.

I have two words for you: Don't Go.

It was horrible. HORRIBLE! My cocktail (something with gin, grapefruit and ginger beer) was so sweet I ordered a club soda to add to it. Paul's margarita was undrinkable. The mini corn dogs tasted like they were dipped in cake batter. The bbq cracklins tasted like they came right out of a bag - therefore they were left untouched.

The chicken on Paul's sisters sandwich was so dry she said it was inedible. We asked to have that taken off the bill, which they did with the appropriate apologies. My burger was okay, but the brioche bun was untoasted, too firm and dry. Paul had chicken and waffles which he said was meh.

Normally I wouldn't have any expectations of a place in a mall in Kent but promote that Shannon Galusha is your chef and that changes things. He should be embarrassed to have his name associated with such mediocrity.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#72 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

Providence gave it her typical luke-warm 2.5 star review, but the reader comments were classic, and instructive. The next location in the Cal's empire is opening kitty corner from my work. Can't wait!!

#73 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

Providence gave it her typical luke-warm 2.5 star review, but the reader comments were classic, and instructive. The next location in the Cal's empire is opening kitty corner from my work. Can't wait!!

Those are great comments! We found a typo on the menu too. "Avacado".

#74 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

We went to the new-ish Square Knot diner on Airport Way in Gegorgetown tonight. They're open 24/7 and serve a real diner menu, only slightly gussied up. I had a roasted chicken special served with cornbread stuffing, very good. May have been a mistake not to have the burger though, prime beef, hand-formed, looked fantastic going by. Should put this place on the BOM candidates list. Portions are huge, prices relatively low. Looking forward to going back for breakfast sometime.

#75 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:46 AM

Two good new South Siyeed spots to mention:

The Greek House (Burien) - typical Greek restaurant menu, but executed at a much better level.  We mainly had appetizers, including calamari, octopus, saganaki and the country salad.  Fresh, good ingredients, which is what Greek food relies on to be special. Owners are a local family that have been in and out of the restaurant business over the years and to do this for their semi-retirement.  Maybe not worth a special trip, but a strong recommendation if you're looking for something in the area of the airport/south end.

Tung Kee Mi Ga - a Chinese inflected Vietnamese restaurant in the no-mans land between White Center and Burien.  If you've been to the taco bus (the one you can actually sit on) on Ambaum at 112th, this is across the street.  The space has been a skivvy looking Chinese joint since we moved into the 'hood, but closed over a year ago.  New owners fixed it up and opened a few months ago, tried it today when we found our go-to Vietnamese place in White Center closed.  Really great food.  I had the Combo Big Rice Noodle Wonton Soup, which was both delicious and fun to eat because there were so many different, delicious bits, including the dumplings, shredded chicken, whole shrimp, meatball, sliced BBQ pork and bits of crackling floating on top.  Also had some excellent egg rolls and chicken wings.  The place was full of Vietnamese patrons and the specials board is written only in Vietnamese...no pandering to the white folk.  I'd say this is worth a trip if you're a Vietnamese food enthusiast, and you can always supplement with tacos across the street!