21 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

I'm curious what applications you all are you using on your computers that I'm missing out on. As noted, I pretty much surf the net, use Word and run Quicken. And I have Canon photo software (but I don't really know how to use it). And iTunes. And I play around with Google Sketch-up.

What programs are out there that would make my life better? Or at least less boring and empty?

And she was.

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,968 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Jan 26 2009, 04:55 PM) View Post
What programs are out there that would make my life better? Or at least less boring and empty?

Girlfriend 4.0.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#3 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

IDL Analyst. I couldn't live without solving Carlson's elliptic integrals on a daily basis.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#4 LML

LML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

Microsoft Messenger.
A dress is neither a tragedy nor a painting it is a charming and ephemeral creation, not an everlasting work of art. Fashion should die and die quickly in order that commerce may survive.

Food or frock?

#5 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

With OpenOffice.org's version 3.x, I've found I am using Word & Excel less and less. Only when there are some of those weird macros do I have to search out Word. Most of my actual writing is done with LaTeX using Winedt on Windows and Kile on Linux.

Hmm...I'm also using Calibre to load books on my Sony Reader trying to avoid Sony's software.

For communication, I am a big big fan of Digsby on Windows. It allows me to have IM + Email + Social Networking (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, &c) all in one place. It's like Adium on OS X, but on some steroids (although maybe Adium can be extended to the same level with Growl and more). On Linux, I use either Twitterfox for Twitter, or I use Tweetdeck with Adobe Air. In fact, I have Adobe Air on just about everything, although I have yet to find that one crucial Air app I need it for...but they keep getting better.

Anyone out there have a favorite Air app I should try?
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#6 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

Look in your Games file & see if you have the marvellously simple yet beguiling Inkball.

I swear, it's better than transcendental meditation.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#7 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

photoshop. utorrent. limewire. open office.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary (current review: glenmorangie signet)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#8 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

Adblocker.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#9 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

All of the i-programs on a Mac (iChat, iDisk, iTunes, iPhoto...)
Photoshop
Quicken
QuickBooks
MobilMe
VLC
TomatoTorrent
Bridge
Parallels
Handbrake
Transmission
Transmit
Adium

#10 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jan 26 2009, 07:04 PM) View Post
photoshop. utorrent. limewire. open office.

durian. avalanche. empire. waxbean. obstacle.

man, i need a headache

#11 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:23 PM

I can't figure out what most of these things do. What is bittorrent? It helps you download stuff from the Internets? Why do I need a separate program to do that? How many email, IM, chat, Facebook, etc., programs does one need?

And she was.

#12 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Jan 27 2009, 08:23 AM) View Post
What is bittorrent? It helps you download stuff from the Internets?

Yeah, kinda... you are tapping into a group of people downloading the same thing you are and you are helping "feed the torrent" by broadcasting back out, making the download that much faster. If I tap into a torrent that 100 other people are in, the download can take minutes. Right now, I am downloading a torrent of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I am downloading from 18 of 38 peers and the download will take several days (it is a BIG file).

#13 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

Is it also stealing copyright protected movies?

And she was.

#14 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Jan 27 2009, 11:59 AM) View Post
Is it also stealing copyright protected movies?
This has been done. I've also heard (BUT NEVER DONE IT MYSELF) that you can, say, download episodes of "QI", "Torchwood", "Top Gear", and "Doctor Who" hours after they are broadcast in the UK rather than having to wait 5 months for cut versions to make it here. (Or in the case of "QI", never.)

That said, bittorrent has many legitimate uses that should be better exploited. All major Linux distros and OpenOffice.org use torrents to make downloading multi-gigabyte ISO images much, much faster. Microsoft really should use it. When they opened the Windows 7 Beta a week or two ago, the MS servers just got hammered and essentially failed. But, others made a Windows 7 torrent with the file they already downloaded and thanks to BT that file was downloaded by, oh, 80% of all beta users, I'm guessing, and much faster than you could get it from MS.
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#15 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

Has anyone worked with both Lotus Symphony and OpenOffice and come to opinion(s) as to how they compare with each other?

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .