2 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,169 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Karla Cook has an article in the NY Times Sunday about reading through seed catalogs, and the increased interest in heritage or legacy plants. Many of these old time crops were pushed aside in favor of hybrids with their better shipping characteristics, slow bolting, etc.

Long the province of seeds, Seed Saver has expanded its offerings of transplants. These plants usually ship when several inches high, usually in their own pots. Wild arugula, Brockton horticultural pole beans, Kentucky pole beans, Amelior lettuce, etc.

Seed Saver catalog

Johnny's seeds

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,169 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

Johnny's selected seeds has issued its 2012 gardening catalog and updated its website with "new for 2012" products.

Nine new varieties of lettuce, lots of pelleted seed, etc.

Johnny's

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:43 AM

I get most of my seeds from Johnny's these days. What I don't get from them, I get from John Scheepers: Kitchen Garden Seeds.

Baker Creek has a HUGE selection of heirloom/heritage (heirloom seems to be the more widely used term) varieties: Rare Seeds.