24995 replies to this topic

#1 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:18 PM

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as Iím not a resident), it is not sufficient to get me an NYS license. I have to take lessons and a test.

So I walk to the office on 34th Street and 9th Avenue and am told that thatís for renewals only. I have to go to Broadway and 34th. I wish they'd made that clear on the website. Still, not too far. I get to the Broadway office and the line for the learners permit is long but moves quickly. I think Iím going to be out in a more than acceptable hour. But after having my photograph taken Iím told to wait for the written test. There are far more people waiting for this, and worse, there is no line, no system, just one big scrum of people jostling to get into the test room. The test takes about 30 minutes all told and only 18 people are processed at a time. Slow going. The test is a piece of piss (though Iím not sure what lane you should turn into when turning left from a two way street to a one way street, nor why anyone would care) but then I have to line up a third time to actually get the permit (and pay my $45). All in all about three hours of waiting, much of it standing.

Did I mention Iíve got gout at the moment?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#2 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:22 PM

All that just to get a learner's permit? I was thinking of getting one in lieu State ID. It's increasingly the case that one is asked for official photo ID when using a credit card, and I am not going to carry my passport around with me.

Is gout worse than arthritis, not as bad, or about the same?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:29 PM

Glyn - you may have participated in a small, gouty step toward legalized, same sex marriage rights, as well.

In the US, states are required to accept other states' driving permits, vehicle registrations, etc. You don't have to reregister your vehicle at the state line, or pass the new state's exhaust gas tests, or be licensed again to drive in th enew place.

That's part of the reciprocity among states, and precisely one of the arguments to require recognition of one state's license of marriage in another state. For many years, Southern state licenses, which allowed 15 year olds to drive, were much prized in the North where 17 was often the required age.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,979 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:34 PM

NY State offers a non-driver's license, as an alternative. It's much quicker to get one, since it doesn't require the written exam. It is as universally accepted as a driver's license for identification, but not, of course, as permission to actually drive a car.

#5 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:40 PM

Is gout worse than arthritis, not as bad, or about the same?

Depends on how bad the arthritis and the gout are. :ph43r:

Gout can be excruciating. Even the touch of a sheet on the afflicted member can be unbearable. But I think that only happens with chronic disease. It's certainly never happened to me. I have the occasional attack for about a week which gives me some discomfort but doesn't stop be walking albeit with a little difficulty.

I think osteoarthritis (strictly, gout is a form of arthritis) is similar. Short term it's just uncomfortable. Long term, the real joint damage occurs and it can be crippling.

#6 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,979 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:43 PM

Does diet have anything to do with it, as we are led to believe?

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:43 PM

Yes, I am looking forward to my hip replacement. Don't know when it will be, but I have no doubt I'll need one one day.

Sorry to hear about your member.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,979 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:48 PM

Don't ask about my shoulder.

#9 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:49 PM

Does diet have anything to do with it, as we are led to believe?

Are you asking me how much I drink?

Diets rich in purines (red meat, offal, shellfish, legumes) can be implicated. But so can genetics, obesity, binge drinking and kidney disease.

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:52 PM

I see you are a walking multiple risk factor.
Elect-a-lujah

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:19 AM

I am increasingly annoyed by the blurring of lines between disco and store. Walking around downtown these days, I don't know if I've walked into a store, or some nightmare teeeny bopper club. I have asked the store people to turn down the music on several occasions in recent weeks.

I hate people between the ages of 13 - 25. I think they should be sent to another planet when they turn 13, and only be allowed back when they're 25.

Yes, yes, I know there are exceptions. Like the children of anyone reading this. :P
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#12 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:14 AM

I am increasingly annoyed by the blurring of lines between disco and store. Walking around downtown these days, I don't know if I've walked into a store, or some nightmare teeeny bopper club. I have asked the store people to turn down the music on several occasions in recent weeks.

I hate people between the ages of 13 - 25. I think they should be sent to another planet when they turn 13, and only be allowed back when they're 25.

Yes, yes, I know there are exceptions. Like the children of anyone reading this. :P

I believe this is called...errr...getting old. :P
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#13 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:53 PM

Pissing rain.
Elect-a-lujah

#14 Basildog

Basildog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:05 PM

Jesus, pissing rain eh? I would visit your Doctor Wilfrid

#15 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

Stop, my sides are aching. :angry:
Elect-a-lujah