671 replies to this topic

#526 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

Certainly in terms of friendliness mixed with professionalism -- and the ability to keep cool in the middle of utter chaos.

Absolutely. I have no damned idea how they keep track of the booze coming and going in that room while still managing to serve.

Just don't ask them who roasts the coffee (it is Stumptown, in case anyone cares) because it creates quite the disturbance in the Force. They had to send someone to check. :)

#527 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,635 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

And not just the booze. In the middle of making and serving drinks for that entire packed bar area, they're serving as waiters for just about everybody sitting at the bar. And there are practically never any service longueurs.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#528 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

And not just the booze. In the middle of making and serving drinks for that entire packed bar area, they're serving as waiters for just about everybody sitting at the bar. And there are practically never any service longueurs.

No arguments. I went in with tempered expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Aside from the douchebags sitting next to me who insisted on talking to me and calling me bro while ringing up their $450 bar tab it was a great experience from front of house to the kitchen and once those two guys left the young ladies who replaced them were far more pleasant company.

#529 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

I think the barmen at Minetta are maybe the best in town.

yes, absolutely. impressed every time i eat there. i normally prefer to eat at the bar rather than a table (unless we're more than 2). at Minetta, it's just so much better than anywhere else i can think of.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#530 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,635 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

That's funny. I eat at the bar there a LOT. But Minetta is one of the few places in town where I actually prefer the dining room. The bar is so jammed. The dining room is stylish and (relatively) comfortable.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#531 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

ha, i find the trip to the ladies' through the dining room rather painful, everybody looks so jammed in there :lol:

#532 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

ha, i find the trip to the ladies' through the dining room rather painful, everybody looks so jammed in there :lol:

That reminds me of that time I saw you at Balthazar years ago. You looked really unhappy as you passed through that front area on your way to and from the loo.

So that's part of the McNally schtick?

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#533 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

That reminds me of that time I saw you at Balthazar years ago. You looked really unhappy as you passed through that front area on your way to and from the loo.

who knows, the bartenders at Balthazar were just as good! (and probably still are, i haven't been in a while)

funny, somehow i don't mind a crowded bar once i have a seat and adequate space to eat (which reminds me, bartenders at Minetta asked guests to move a bit to make more room for us recently, which i have not seen all that often. on the contrary, i've been asked to move to a less comfortable space at the bar to make room for the bartender's friend :lol: rrright :rolleyes: ). but cramped tables are not for me. i've been thinking about it and it's possible that i prefer not to deal with waiters when i'm not eating for work. and i can always see the wine being poured and the bottle it comes from. don't need reservations or to wait much. can share food (both ways). meet people. get the check right away. it can be a very different experience than dining at a table and since i do a lot of dining for work, bar seems easier and more fun. at least for 2.

#534 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

All I know is that if there is a place serving better Brandade in the city I'd love to know where it is. The light dusting of truffles and ample use of butter made were a flawless balance to the cod's brine.

.....and also, that "souffle for 2" is nonsense. Even after breakfast at Pies n' Thighs, lunch at EMP, and three plates at Minetta that was a souffle I'd have stabbed someone's hand with a fork for if they tried to "share" it. :)

#535 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

Well, soufflés are nothing but air and a little egg white, after all. :lol:

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#536 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

Well, soufflés are nothing but air and a little egg white, after all. :lol:

Exactly. Not a sharing dish. Then again I tend to be a little stingy in the swets department anyhow. :)

#537 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,769 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

.....and also, that "souffle for 2" is nonsense. Even after breakfast at Pies n' Thighs, lunch at EMP, and three plates at Minetta that was a souffle I'd have stabbed someone's hand with a fork for if they tried to "share" it. :)

Your implication that you're avoiding burgers and steak to support a healthy lifestyle is sort of questionable at this point :-)
I never said that

#538 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

Your implication that you're avoiding burgers and steak to support a healthy lifestyle is sort of questionable at this point :-)

Please inform me as to where I suggested I avoided such things to "support a healthy lifestyle?" I support my health by running daily, lifting 4 days per week, and eating zero processed foods in my day to day diet. I omit beef because I generally don't like the texture and I've never met a burger that tasted "good" to me.

#539 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,635 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

I'd say it's part of the McNally schtick to have restaurants that are extremely crowded.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#540 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,769 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Please inform me as to where I suggested I avoided such things to "support a healthy lifestyle?" I support my health by running daily, lifting 4 days per week, and eating zero processed foods in my day to day diet. I omit beef because I generally don't like the texture and I've never met a burger that tasted "good" to me.

I apologize for not being precise about the reasons for your omission of beef when poking gentle fun at the apparent contrast between claims of a healthy lifestyle and an apparent 40,000 calorie diet. I too run daily-ish and eat zero processed foods, except for cheese, butter, sausage, bread, hung game, and all manners of dried, fried, salted, sweetened, fermented, pickled, alkalized, washed, smoked, steamed and grilled items and I understand that nuance matters.
I never said that