#46 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Apr 6 2010, 01:21 PM) View Post
I noticed that article yesterday. I like Sheffield's work very much but I think he's got this one wrong. Quarters are one thing but to pay in dimes seems perverse.

I mean imagine your reaction if you were at the bar. I'd assume the guy had booze and money problems if they tried to pay in dimes. Dimes. Crazy.
Why not mayo?

#47 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

Not to defend this, but where do you get rid of change? In the UK the lowest demonation note is 5 -- you have to pay with change so counting out two pounds, a 50p, two 5ps and a 1p seems natural. Here, it's awkward* to count out three dollar bills plus some change.

*Or is it just me?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#48 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,116 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(g.johnson @ Apr 6 2010, 01:40 PM) View Post
Not to defend this, but where do you get rid of change? In the UK the lowest demonation note is 5 -- you have to pay with change so counting out two pounds, a 50p, two 5ps and a 1p seems natural. Here, it's awkward* to count out three dollar bills plus some change.

*Or is it just me?

I hate those pound coins.

I think, as AB said, it's the dimes (small denomination) aspect of it.

My coins get thrown in a small dish every day, when the dish fills up I go the bank that has a coin-counting machine and get about $50 back.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#49 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:50 PM

I used to love those pound and 2 pound coins. Wake up hungover think you have no cash to get lunch . Oh wait I've got some coins. Oh 10 pounds. Good to go. Enough for a yogurt and the paper.

Its not the coins per se its the dimes. Quarters would be pushing it, although at 3.50/ draft not so crazy.
Why not mayo?

#50 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,116 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(Anthony Bonner @ Apr 6 2010, 01:50 PM) View Post
I used to love those pound and 2 pound coins. Wake up hungover think you have no cash to get lunch . Oh wait I've got some coins. Oh 10 pounds. Good to go. Enough for a yogurt and the paper.

laugh.gif

My objection to the pound coins is their weight; it is not all that difficult to find yourself schlepping a half kilo of coinage in your handbag.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#51 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(Daisy @ Apr 6 2010, 02:02 PM) View Post

laugh.gif

My objection to the pound coins is their weight; it is not all that difficult to find yourself schlepping a half kilo of coinage in your handbag.

Bonner just carries a bigger purse than you.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#52 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

european men's carryall thank you very much
Why not mayo?

#53 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,768 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

laugh.gif

Well, one pound coin is pretty close to a half kilo. Of . coinage? Have you been dating Dan Dierdorf?

And she was.

#54 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,116 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Apr 6 2010, 03:02 PM) View Post

laugh.gif

Well, one pound coin is pretty close to a half kilo. Of . coinage? Have you been dating Dan Dierdorf?

Is that some obscure football reference?

And sea salt does so taste different than regular table salt.

#55 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

I see I need to post some more bar reviews and get back in control of this thread.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#56 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,768 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Daisy @ Apr 6 2010, 03:07 PM) View Post

laugh.gif

Especially when it's sourced instead of bought.

Dierdorf liked the hold "age" suffix. Yardage. "Stoppage of the clock." Things like that.

Are you really suggesting that if you put sea salt into a soup, stew, stir-fry or anything else you can taste the difference between it and regular salt? You must have NBC taste buds.

And she was.

#57 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,116 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Apr 6 2010, 03:20 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Daisy @ Apr 6 2010, 03:07 PM) View Post

laugh.gif

Especially when it's sourced instead of bought.

Dierdorf liked the hold "age" suffix. Yardage. "Stoppage of the clock." Things like that.

Are you really suggesting that if you put sea salt into a soup, stew, stir-fry or anything else you can taste the difference between it and regular salt? You must have NBC taste buds.

I think you can taste the difference if you are tasting salts on their own, dipping things in salt (things like radishes, hard boiled eggs, etc) or using it sprinkled on something to finish it. Do I routinely throw my Maldon salt in the pasta cooking water? Hell no. Although I did last night because I was out of the cheaper French or Spanish salt (the stuff that comes in the cardboard tube container) I use for cooking.

#58 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Steingarten (It Must've Been Something I Ate) ran a blind taste test and concluded that only one of the twenty different salts he studied in solution* tasted different to a statistically significant degree. Unfortunately it tasted "astringent, fizzy and strange" due to a strange manufacturing technique involving roasting over bamboo.

*Texture may be different since salt crystals come in different sizes.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#59 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,768 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

Yes, I assume that the crunch of larger crystals for sea salt would make a difference when sprinkled on a salad or perhaps a steak (any place where they wouldn't dissolve). I don't dip radishes into salt often enough to justify paying extra for sea salt. Usually, I just dip my parsley into salt water, which is SYMBOLIC OF MY TEARS! I would think the smaller crystals and protective plastic coating of mortons would be better for rubbing salt into wounds.

And she was.

#60 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

I found Mission Dolores (4th avenue & Carrol in Breuklien) to be a really pleasant place to have a few beers. 20 or so taps with one beer on cask in an unusual mix of indoor and outdoor seating. The crowd was nice too, I enjoyed being among other people in their thirties.

It seems like the kind of place that changes it beer list often, but the Green Flash Double IPA currently on Cask is wonderfully grassy and benefits from being poured on cask.