1136 replies to this topic

#691 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,111 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Lest anyone be misled, appetizers on Roberta's regular menu $14-$17, entrees $24-$26, sides $9-$12.

I haven't seen the portion sizes, but relative to Manhattan, it looks like they're a tad under-priced on entrees, but appetizers and sides are squarely in line.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#692 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,660 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

"Ten times" suggests extraordinary bargains are available here, which is not the case: although you can keep your check down by ordering inexpensive wine.

#693 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Total check last time $160 (including plenty of food, tax, tip, appropriate wine). Total check at EMP $1450.

Not saying it's a bargain, just that spending 10 times (ok, 9 times) as much doesn't guarantee better service.
I never said that

#694 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,660 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Of course it doesn't guarantee, but if the servers at EMP behave like servers at Roberta's, that's a disgrace.

#695 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Yes, exactly. And if anything, the servers at EMP have to handle a much narrower set of scenarios (like, they don't have to deal with a fairly large woman in a tiny sombrero starting to dance around and singing because there's a cinco de mayo party in her head Posted Image) and therefore it's perplexing that they fail to do even that correctly.

I never said that

#696 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,111 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Total check last time $160 (including plenty of food, tax, tip, appropriate wine). Total check at EMP $1450.

Not saying it's a bargain, just that spending 10 times (ok, 9 times) as much doesn't guarantee better service.

You must've caught EMP on an unusually bad day.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#697 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

You must've caught EMP on an unusually bad day.

I doubt it. If a waiter can't figure out left-right mirroring then he couldn't have figured it out the night before either.

But I'm not singling EMP out - we had a terrible waitress at Minetta once ($500), handed desserts in a doggy bag at Per Se ($800 back then, $1200 later, even more now), got lost in the algorithm at JG lunch (and believe me, it's a long recovery process, about 45 minutes until the rest of our food showed up) ($320), a waiter offered to f*** Sivan at Bouley once. ($480 back then)

These aren't unique experiences, and while I realize Wilfrid has some program where he wants to picture Roberta as a bunch of extra clumsy 16 year olds carrying flat PBRs in mason jars while spilling them all over the dining room, the gap between the service there and places like it, and between the very top in nyc just isn't that big in reality, and is negative when adjusted for price and pretense.
I never said that

#698 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,749 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

a waiter offered to f*** Sivan at Bouley once. ($480 back then)

First, I thought that at Bouley they consider that an extra service, not a failure.

Second, that "($480 back then)" is REALLY subject to misreading.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#699 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

First, I thought that at Bouley they consider that an extra service, not a failure.

I just laughed out loud for real (as opposed to an LOL)....first time in a long time I've done that to something on the internets....
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#700 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,749 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

I live to serve.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#701 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,749 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

I hope you'll call out a batallion to protect me when Sivan sees that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#702 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

So intended. Posted Image
I never said that

#703 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

I had a waiter at Roberta's once who was a complete twat, but that is not my usual experience there. And I know several of us a few years ago experienced the Mad Waiter at EMP on different occasions. I was once,in a very pricey and fairly fancy NYT-starred downtown establishment, groped by a sommelier. And I don't mean he caught me in a hallway or somesuch, I was sitting at the table when the fucker grabbed me. There's degrees of bad (as well as good) behavior one may experience from restaurant staff and it cuts across all price levels in my experience. The haughtiest, verging on rude, treatment I have ever experienced were incidents at Il Buco and Fatty Crab. Very different sorts of places.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#704 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,111 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

If a waiter can't figure out left-right mirroring then he couldn't have figured it out the night before either.

You're saying they do that correctly at Roberta's?
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#705 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

If a waiter can't figure out left-right mirroring then he couldn't have figured it out the night before either.

You're saying they do that correctly at Roberta's?

At the tasting menu dinners, yes. But I wonder if the guy who almost threw our plates at us at brunch knows how to do it if he cares to. :P

PS I think at the tasting menu dinner I had last spring it was Carlo and one server serving us.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.