#76 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

How do you make coffee at home?

For this Sunday morning, let me confess: though I take coffee seriously, with my burr grinder feeding my La Pavoni lever espresso, Frieling French press, and everyday drip brewer depending on the quantity and quality we want, when I wake up I like microwaved day-old coffee that's been sitting in the drip carafe for the last twenty hours, less the dregs at the very bottom.

If freshly brewed coffee has many of the attributes I like in a syrah, reused old coffee has those of a merlot, with softer flavor and a more gentle mouthfeel.

Posted Image

(Thanks to whoever moved this post to this topic, which I had no luck finding via the search engine.)

#77 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

Love the hipster flavor wheel & terms like "turpeny" which don't exist elsewhere on the Net or in any dictionary I can find. Almost makes me want to take up coffee again. :lol:
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#78 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,158 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

Love the hipster flavor wheel & terms like "turpeny" which don't exist elsewhere on the Net or in any dictionary I can find. Almost makes me want to take up coffee again. :lol:

i wonder if it's supposed be turpentiny or something like that since it seems related to piney. much to my own shame, i prettuy much just drink coffee, i don't really "taste" it

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#79 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:33 AM

i wonder if it's supposed be turpentiny or something like that since it seems related to piney. much to my own shame, i prettuy much just drink coffee, i don't really "taste" it

Yeah, I figgered it was shorthand for that. Just struck me as funny.

I've been off coffee way too long to be very discerning about it.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#80 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,158 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:16 AM

Yeah, I figgered it was shorthand for that. Just struck me as funny.

I've been off coffee way too long to be very discerning about it.

i only started drinking coffee when i was living in the uk because those psychos put milk in tea and i cannot abide that. but their lovely double cream made coffee okay for me

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#81 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:20 AM

I'd guess its a typo and it is supposed to be terpene-y - but i think the real term is terpenic. At least that's what my wife says - who does that sort of stuff for a living.

But yeah, its basically turpentine like.
Why not mayo?

#82 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,158 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:00 AM

I'd guess its a typo and it is supposed to be terpene-y - but i think the real term is terpenic. At least that's what my wife says - who does that sort of stuff for a living.

But yeah, its basically turpentine like.

yes terpenic, that's it

~Jack Handey