37 replies to this topic

#31 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

Is there a difference between bread pudding and a strata?

Because I was going on an all day bike ride in remote parts of Brooklyn, I decided to make the strata from Cookwise. It's super simple and consists of bread, gruyere, shallots, eggs and milk. Assembled it the night before and baked it in the morning. Golden cheesy perfection.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#32 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

I'd say they are first cousins. The overnight soaking makes the strata softer and silkier and it also puffs a little, no? And you don't get the crusty bits like you would on the top of a bread pudding, savory or sweet.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#33 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

Strata is savory; bread pudding is sweet. In other words, strata is a savory bread pudding.

#34 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

But I've never done the soaking thing with bread pudding, which I think would detract from the texture, I like the crusty bits. I also like the interior bits of bread soft but not as soft as in a strsta but rather still with the least bit of bite to them.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#35 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

The top and sides were very crusty and yes it puffs right out of the oven.

#36 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,770 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

Strata is savory; bread pudding is sweet. In other words, strata is a savory bread pudding.

I would agree, because when one makes a bread pudding with mushrooms or some such instead of a sweet one, it seems customary to ID it as a savory bread pudding.

In addition: I also think of a strata as, well, stratified--that is, layered solids with the custard then poured over the top--while a bread pudding is all mixed together.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#37 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,168 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

But I've never done the soaking thing with bread pudding, which I think would detract from the texture, I like the crusty bits. I also like the interior bits of bread soft but not as soft as in a strsta but rather still with the least bit of bite to them.

i've always soaked bread pudding but i also never eat it. no one has ever complained, though

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#38 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

Over the weekend I made the caramelized chocolate bread pudding from Sunday Suppers at Lucques.

Mama mia, I can't believe how good it was. It calls for broiche but I used Greek Easter bread (dough enriched with milk and eggs plus spices). The recipe definitely isn't for a calorie counter (cream, milk, butter, eggs and yolks) but boy is the result worth it. Not too sweet - only 1/4 cup of brown sugar - but what puts it over the edge is after it bakes, sprinking the top with sugar and running it under the broiler. I'm definitely going to do it again with a little bit of bourbon.