2435 replies to this topic

#1 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:43 PM

Thought this may act as a useful diary and motivation for the more slothful of our members

But, today, bugger all. too hungover from Rhodes.

Tomorrow is another day

S

#2 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:15 PM

Spinning. Oddly named, but very effective exercise. One hour, three times a week, burns an average of 800 calories per session, 25 - 35% from fat. Supplemented with stair climbing, cross-country ski (machine), recumbent bike, and, of course, my favorite, walking the city.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#3 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:51 PM

After having fallen off the exercise wagon since the new year, I am determined to get back at it. Bonus is the fact that my new office is just a block from my gym, and I can now go work out at lunchtime. I shall report back, as I am planning to head over there in a couple of hours.

This thread will be a good motivational tool.

#4 Basildog

Basildog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:10 PM

For some :D

Got up, drove to work, on feet for 5 hours so far...about another 8 hours to go on feet.Does this burn calories??

I am losing a bit of weight, i had to hunt out a belt last week, all my jeans are falling down.

#5 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:22 PM

For some :D

Got up, drove to work, on feet for 5 hours so far...about another 8 hours to go on feet.Does this burn calories??

I am losing a bit of weight, i had to hunt out a belt last week, all my jeans are falling down.

When I worked in the restaurant biz (front and back of the house) I never needed to exercise. Whether it was churning out apps in a boiling hot kitchen or flying around the dining room loaded with full trays of food, all I did was burn calories. Also, add in the two packs of cigarettes and 7 or 8 cups of coffee that I consumed per day, and my metabolism rivaled a hummingbird.

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:51 PM

I wonder what spinning is. :unsure:
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:36 PM

I wonder what spinning is. :unsure:

Not sure if this is a trick question, but the straight answer is that it is stationary cycling on a Schwinn bicycle with an 18 pound wheel and an adjustable resistance knob. It's a very effective training device. I think of it as torture, and the spinning room as The House of Pain.

Btw, Wilfrid, I happen to know that my current gym (I'm only there because the spinning instructor is a Class 1 road racer and an excellent coach) and your office are just steps apart. Any time you'd like to experience spinning for yourself, I will be very glad to have you as my guest. Afterwards, we can have Gatorade and tofu.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#8 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:42 PM

today nada. except sore in quads and glutes
Yesterday
squats - grunt
deadlifts -grunt
leg press- you guessed it -grunt
military shoulder press ahhh all done.

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:44 PM

Robert, you are very kind, but I don't believe I have entered a gymnasium in twenty seven years, and the shock may be too much. Thanks for the explanation.

If it's anyone's business, I begin most days exercising with a pair of ten pound dumbbells, working mainly on my arms, shoulders, neck and chest. Since I walk millions of miles every week, I am a Greek god from the waist down. The bit in the middle gets overlooked because I detest sit-ups, although that's clearly what I should be doing.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#10 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:48 PM

Good god, does walking count? I walk to and from work each day, about 5 miles total. I am clearly a gym rat manqué.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#11 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:00 PM

Either walking does make a difference, or I am genetically programmed to be firm and muscular below the waist, indistinct and flobby above.
Elect-a-lujah

#12 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:26 PM

I exercised nothing today but my jaws. Tonight, though, I'm doing strenuous yoga/Pilates/dance/etc. with my excellent exercise coach, author of a forthcoming book on "How to Get Fit when You're Old & Saggy." :lol:
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#13 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:39 PM

I exercised nothing today but my jaws. Tonight, though, I'm doing strenuous yoga/Pilates/dance/etc. with my excellent exercise coach, author of a forthcoming book on "How to Get Fit when You're Old & Saggy." :lol:

who would be publishing such a potential bestseller, pray tell?

S

#14 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:46 PM

A very canny and highly respected house, no doubt.

I don't believe we ever discussed my commission...
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#15 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:05 AM

Fucking hang-over this morning (see "What we are drinking), made 6:30 Am trip to gym even less pleasant the usual.

10 minutes warm up on rowing machine (n.b. why do these things have settings 1-10 when you only use 10).

20 minutes on bitch-bastard Stair-master
20 minutes on bike
15 minutes plaing about with weights etc.

rowing, riding and ,eh, stairing burns about 650 kcal, not sure how much weights burn though.

Still feel like shit, can't weight until this arvo for a drink.

The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born,
and sets a food discussion site?