3 replies to this topic

#1 syrah girl

syrah girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

We recently spent the weekend at the Westin Mission Hills Resort in Rancho Mirage. The resort restaurant, Bella Vista was very good for lunch the day we arrived and for breakfast the day we departed. We were there under the Timeshare Invitation for $69/night which was a great rate. Our first dinner was at BluEmber at the Ranchos Las Palmas Resort, very nice meal outside by the firepit, we had 3 courses for $35/pp and we brought in a bottle of Firestone Malbec which was excellent with dinner. I had the Butternut Squash Raviolis for a starter followed by the Pulled Pork entree which was perfectly prepared. Dessert was German Chocolate Cake cupcakes, very yummy. Loved this place!

We went to Tommy Bahama's Cafe in Palm Desert for lunch the next day, a casual venue with very good Fish Tacos, served with a Coconut Dipping Sauce and some Fried Bananas. Our dinner was at Wally's Desert Turtel, a very formal venue with excellent food and service. I enjoyed a Baby Greens salad and a very good Pasta dish there with lots of Fresh Shrimp and Shaved Parmesan Cheese. Our service was very attentive, this is a wonderful place for a formal, elegant meal in the desert. This was our first visit to the Palm Springs area and the eating was good here! smile.gif

#2 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

I just got back from my third visit to Palm Springs. The food here has never been good but this year it particularly sucked and I can't figure out why that is. I can't imagine there isn't enough demand to have just one decent restaurant. We had meals at:

12/24 Lunch at El Gallito
Probably our best meal but even then, the tortillas were stale.

12/24 Dinner at The Tropicale
This was the first of our 'it's my first night here' server experiences. Check out the menu - the cuisine is all over the place. Nothing here was good - I take that back - I enjoyed my Blue Hawaiian.

Even our traditional Christmas dinner at Le Vallauris wasn't as good this year.
The foie ravioli were good but lukewarm. My beef entree was okay but the lamb was very game-y and too garlic-y. The desserts, which have always shone in the past, were inedible. And that's saying a lot if my brother doesn't eat his. He at three at Trio!

12/26 Breakfast at Cheeky's
Decent food but the wait was over an hour for a table (we were told 15 - 20 minutes) and my drink, a Ramos Gin Fizz - featured on the menu, came well after we were eating. Evidently they take longer to make than the other drinks laugh.gif

12/26 Dinner at Trio.
My high hopes for Trio were dashed as soon as I saw fried artichoke hearts on the menu. If you didn't know any better - the food wasn't offensive. But when my order of duck confit came and it was a dinner plate filled (and I mean filled to the brim) with with way-too-sweet braised red cabbage and two braised rabbit quarters on top - I was offended. Not that the duck wasn't tasty - it just wasn't duck confit. Paul had a pork chop that was so salty that he couldn't eat it. He told our server, and the server asked if he wanted something else. Paul said no, not this late into the meal - he'd just help me finish mine. They took away his plate - with the chop sans one bite - and we were charged for it! Did I mention that it was our servers second night?

12/27 Breakfast at King's Highway at the Ace Hotel
Again, decent food but the staff was all kinds of crazy. We could see fights breaking out between the guys on the line and the servers. At one point we saw our server burst into tears, poor guy. It took literally 30 minutes to get a cup of coffee - and we had to ask 3 times! They knew things were bad but did nothing to compensate. After the meal, Paul said to our server that they were obviously having issues and said we knew it wasn't his fault. He went was very grateful and blabbed about how their expediter was a lunatic and the kitchen wouldn't work with him and about how all his tables were going to postal on him, etc. etc. I felt bad but still. Not. My. Problem.

Seriously - there must be better food in the area. I'm going back again in March - this time staying in Palm Desert. If anyone has any recommendations - please, please pass them on to me.

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#3 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Since my parents have been wintering there, I've been going to Palm Springs once or twice a year since then, including going to the tennis tournament at Indian Wells each March. Here's an update on where we ate this time.

We've been going to Murph's Gaslight for the Sunday night chicken dinners. Most of the meal is pretty blah but the chicken is really good. We take it home and then take the leftovers to the tennis tournament. Unfortunately, they have closed the Palm Desert location. We went to Mama's Soul Food instead. The chicken was pretty good but the ribs were not good. The pulled pork and the sides were fine.

There is no late night dining in Palm Springs. The only thing we could find open after 10 PM was NYPD Pizza We stayed for the evening match at tennis one night and it was fine in a pinch.

We always try and have lunch at Tyler's Burgers They make the best potato salad. There's always a pretty long wait for a table. When you put your name in, put in an order for the potato salad so you'll be sure to get some. It always sells out early.

Cheeky's is a great little breakfast and lunch spot just North of the heart of PS. The waits are always long but they've opened a pizza place next door called Birba's. They are now opening the bar at Birba's during the day so you can have a bloody mary, etc while you wait.
Artichoke bottoms and spinach with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce
Posted Image
Untitled by laurenedlund, on Flickr

Breakfast quesadilla
Posted Image

Eggs Benedict with bacon and arugula - check out the fantastic hash browns!
Posted Image

At Tighe's suggestion, we went to Morgan's in the Desert one night. The food was standard fare but prepared really well
Fried artichokes and olives with a honey mustard dipping sauce
Posted Image

Pear and watercress salad with bacon and blue cheese
Posted Image

Beef carpaccio with wild mushrooms and baby artichoke salad
Posted Image

Diver scallops - my Mom's favorite. Unfortunately they came with a cloche and had lost the nice sear by the time they removed it.
Posted Image

Porcini crusted filet of beef
Posted Image

Rack of smoked almond crusted lamb - this was the best lamb I've ever had. The spicy tomato emulsion was tangy and wonderful
Posted Image

For dessert we had a really boring ice cream sundae with popcorn on it.

And just so you can see why I like to go to the tennis tournament each year, here's why
Posted Image

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#4 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

A group of us are headed again to Palm Springs for the tennis tournament. Has anyone been recently and do you have any new places to recommend?