133 replies to this topic

#1 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:02 AM

GalPalJoan saw it and, with a bad feeling, asked what I thought. The birthdates were the same so I checked with Orik to get a name confirmation and based on an an existing email contact for her, it seems we lost another beloved MF members. Unsure if it was directly related to the fires, but terribly, terribly sad regardless.

Obit.

Rebecca "Becky" Dugan

1942 - 2009

Rebecca "Becky" Dugan passed away at home in her favorite reading chair this April 22nd, in Carpinteria, CA. Rebecca taught Home Economics at Santa Barbara Jr. High, and in Ventura at Balboa Jr. High and Buena High School. We all miss her dearly. Her wonderful whimsical eccentric self has touched many lives, and will live on in our memories.

A memorial service will be held this Saturday May 2nd, at 2 P.M. at the El Montecito Presbyterian Church, 1455 East Valley Road, Montecito, CA 93108. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the El Montecito Presbyterian Church or Carpinteria Historical Society.

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:13 AM

I am in total shock. She seemed far too lively to pass. RIP.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#3 Rex1965

Rex1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:15 AM

Very, very sad. So sorry to hear this. Thoughts are with her loved ones right now.
"We are gawna make the most amazing angel food harvest cake, for Kwanzaa" - Sandra Lee

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:19 AM

This calls for a drink: absinthe please!

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#5 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:41 AM

Her wonderful whimsical eccentric self has touched many lives, and will live on in our memories.

I only met her once in real life but she made a lasting impression. She had a terrific sense of humor, in the realm of "you can't make this up". We went up to Santa Barbara last Thanksgiving and I thought of giving her a buzz as we had exchanged messages via PM here and on another board about exploring the area together with family. But it was a short weekend trip and we were too busy.

Rebecca, I will never forget your answer to the question, "Do you have cats?"

Gone fishing for the summer.

#6 Aaron T

Aaron T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(The Scream @ May 10 2009, 10:41 PM) View Post
Her wonderful whimsical eccentric self has touched many lives, and will live on in our memories.

I only met her once in real life but she made a lasting impression. She had a terrific sense of humor, in the realm of "you can't make this up". We went up to Santa Barbara last Thanksgiving and I thought of giving her a buzz as we had exchanged messages via PM here and on another board about exploring the area together with family. But it was a short weekend trip and we were too busy.

Rebecca, I will never forget your answer to the question, "Do you have cats?"

I believe I was at that same one meeting, when she brought chocolates for all of us. This is sad news. sad.gif
"There just aren't many new "uptight" reservation places opening, especially in the neighborhoods where older, more sophisticated diners are trolling for youngish women." - Stone

My blog: Savory Hunter @ www.savoryhunter.com

#7 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

terrible news. condolences to her friends and family (if anyone is able to convey them).

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#8 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ May 10 2009, 11:33 PM) View Post
terrible news. condolences to her friends and family (if anyone is able to convey them).

I signed the local newspaper's online guestbook and got a message it will take 24 hours for it to be posted. I hope someone from her family sees it.

She posted in the NoCal Potluck Planning thread that she was hoping to come up for that -- I'm very sad I didn't get a chance to meet her.

#9 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:53 AM

What terrible news! She was such a lively presence on the board. I'll really miss her.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#10 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:06 AM

I too will miss her posts.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#11 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

Horrible news. My deepest sympathies to her family.
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#12 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:55 AM

She was quite something and I'll miss her.
"I mispoke."

#13 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

What sad news.

Goodbye, Rebecca! I, too, will miss your wonderful whimsical eccentric posts.

My condolences to her friends and family.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#14 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

Oh gosh I am stunned. I always loved her style & wit & sense of humanity. She was a real presence. Godspeed Becky Dugan.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#15 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

As I feared. I'm still shocked to hear it. But comforted that she passed away in her favorite reading chair (April 22 predates the fires, thank goodness).

Godspeed, you dotty thing. You'll be missed.