133 replies to this topic

#31 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

Maybe the admins can pin this thread, as has been done for Maurice, Tony, Bruce and Julian?
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#32 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

I am really so sorry to hear this news. Happy trails, Rebecca, you wacky dame.
Using salt and pepper is a good, inexpensive way to put flavor in your food. Sandra Lee

#33 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ May 11 2009, 10:56 AM) View Post
Maybe the admins can pin this thread, as has been done for Maurice, Tony, Bruce and Julian?

Done.

Rebecca could be very entertaining, and yes, wacky.

My sincere condolences to her family and friends.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#34 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

This is a sweet message in the guest-book:

"One of my fondest memories of Balboa Jr. High is being in Ms. Dugan's class the year she married. I watched her dye her wedding dress fabric and lace in tea to get just the right color and my friends and I made her a box of "Becky Dugan Cupcakes" because her new name sounded so sweet to us. I'm not a great seamstress for having been in Becky's class, but I'm a better person for having known her.

Patricia (Sewell) Rodriguez"
Nice photo, too.

It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#35 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Aaron T @ May 11 2009, 06:18 AM) View Post
QUOTE(The Scream @ May 10 2009, 10:41 PM) View Post
Her wonderful whimsical eccentric self has touched many lives, and will live on in our memories.

I only met her once in real life but she made a lasting impression. She had a terrific sense of humor, in the realm of "you can't make this up". We went up to Santa Barbara last Thanksgiving and I thought of giving her a buzz as we had exchanged messages via PM here and on another board about exploring the area together with family. But it was a short weekend trip and we were too busy.

Rebecca, I will never forget your answer to the question, "Do you have cats?"

I believe I was at that same one meeting, when she brought chocolates for all of us. This is sad news. sad.gif

Yes. She brought chocolates for everyone and left too much money before dashing off. Then we tried to figure out how to return her excessive contribution to the tab. The last couple, who do not post on MF, decided that since everyone left more than enough they could leave less than their share.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#36 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

Oh dear, so sad!

I met her twice, both times at PNW potlucks. She hosted one a couple of years ago at her daughter and son-in-law's home in Tacoma. Here's a link to her summation post which was in her familiar, rambling style as are several other posts in the thread--too bad we only got pictures of the food and none of her. Her daughter had just had a baby and her son was sort of in and out of the room, tending to his wife, who we never met. Rebecca was just as eccentric, wacky and interesting in person as she was online and she gave us all RG beans (which we all know how much she loved) as favors at the dinner table. And she also made eccentric food--one dish I remember was a retro jelled shrimp mousse (that was actually quite good) and which I think may be in the PNW recipe thread.

RIP, Rebecca and condolences to the family.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#37 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

Condolences to all - RIP.

We are all lesser because of this loss.

#38 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

And condolences to Hugh Jackman who lost a huge fan.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#39 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

How terrible, she was wonderful and will be missed. I am really appreciative for the interactions we had. My heart goes out to her family.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#40 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

That's a terrible shame.

#41 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

Thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.

RIP
-- Jeff

TioPacho.com

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#42 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

Her endless curiosity was a great example. I'll miss her, too.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#43 Fortune

Fortune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

How sad. I lurk here mostly, and always loved the quirkiness and the warmth of her posts, those two things shone through and were so lovely.

It is a strange new thing, this sort of "virtual loss."

#44 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:15 PM

I keep hoping that this is some other Rebecca, not "ours." But I guess since some of you were fortunate enough to meet her, you've been able to confirm from the photo. Way too young, in any case.

Sincerest condolences to her family.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#45 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

I am also shocked and saddened at seeing this today. What a wonderful witty woman. I will dearly miss her posts.

eta: She was far far too young. So sad.