216 replies to this topic

#1 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

40% off coupon and a gift certificate, what should I get? It's going to depend on what they have in stock, of course, but some books on my wish list or just look interesting are (not in any particular order):

Bobby Flay's and Hubert Keller's burger books (it's summer! but do I really need a burger book? I'm dubious)
Seven Fires Grilling the Argentine Way
Tacos by Mark Miller
Ratio by Michael Ruhlman
The Perfect Scoop by David Liebovitz
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book
Modern Spice by Monica Bhide
Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorrie Greenspan
Izakaya the Japanese Pub Cookbook by Mark Robinson
the Fuschia Dunlop books on Szechuan and Hunan
Diane Kennedy's Art of Mexican Cooking (I have the other two, might as well complete the trifecta)

Any recs on a Vietnamese cookbook? I don't have one yet. There are several that look interesting including Secrets of the Red Lantern by Pauline Nguyen and Into the Vietnamese Kitchen by Andrea Nguyen. Bourdain's buddy Bobby Chinn has a book out now too.

Is the revised McGee On Food and Cooking that different from the old one?
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#2 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(GrantK @ Jun 19 2009, 04:48 AM) View Post
40% off coupon and a gift certificate, what should I get? It's going to depend on what they have in stock, of course, but some books on my wish list or just look interesting are (not in any particular order):

Bobby Flay's and Hubert Keller's burger books (it's summer! but do I really need a burger book? I'm dubious)
Tacos by Mark Miller
Ratio by Michael Ruhlman
Diane Kennedy's Art of Mexican Cooking (I have the other two, might as well complete the trifecta)

Any recs on a Vietnamese cookbook? I don't have one yet. There are several that look interesting including Secrets of the Red Lantern by Pauline Nguyen and Into the Vietnamese Kitchen by Andrea Nguyen. Bourdain's buddy Bobby Chinn has a book out now too.

Let me guess - you got the 40% off Borders coupon.
Future Legacy Participant.

#3 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

You won't regret getting Dorie's book.

Andrea Nguyen's Into the Vietnamese Kitchen is my top pick for Vietnamese cooking.

I'd be more likely to make something from The Perfect Scoop than others on your list, even though they are good choices, but what really sings to you?
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#4 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

I bought and then returned Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. It's a great concept, but the more I read I realized I was never going to actually make the bread. YMMV.
Future Legacy Participant.

#5 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

What memesuze said about Dorie and Andrea.

If you like to grill, Seven Fires is a must.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#6 JPW

JPW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!!!!!!

(Full disclosure - Monica is one of my favorite people)
"You know what we need around here? More guidelines. I don't think we have enough guidelines. I mean -- look at that other place, it even has guidelines for its guidelines."

"Also, we don't "ban" people in the arbitrary fashion you are describing. It's a meticulous and careful process, which is only used sparingly." -jhlurie (now ex-officio)

#7 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(GrantK @ Jun 19 2009, 03:48 AM) View Post
Any recs on a Vietnamese cookbook?

Grant, I highly recommend The Asian Kitchen by Lillian Wu.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#8 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

I agree with those who suggested the Dorie book. And, I'd add The Perfect Scoop. Mmmm, homemade ice cream to go with all those freshly baked cookies and brownies wink.gif .

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(JPW @ Jun 19 2009, 09:02 AM) View Post

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!!!!!!

(Full disclosure - Monica is one of my favorite people)

laugh.gif Mine too, and as I may have mentioned, I worked on this one.

Even so, wink.gif it's the kind of cookbook I love to have -- recipes I would actually cook, and marvelous stories. She takes the approach that now, even in India, the "traditional" (i.e., authentic but difficult mixing of spices, grinding ingredients, etc.) ways of doing things are being replaced by good-quality convenience products, about which she give you helpful buying information. And I know that she tests and tests and tests her recipes, so they work. She makes cooking Indian food much easier but no less delicious.

Ratio is good if you want to be able to do things on your own, without slavishly following someone else's recipes.

And yes, the updated McGee has a lot more information than the original.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#10 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

Probably Marcella's Essentials of Italian Cooking or Marcella Cucina.

Zuni Cafe cookbook as well.

#11 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

I love The Perfect Scoop and use it all the time. In fact, I just got rid of two, shall we say, lesser quality ice cream books (gifts from people who don't cook) since I never use anything but The Perfect Scoop.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#12 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,815 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

the dunlop sichuan book is great. as is the kennedy.

it's worth looking on the amazon marketplace--i've picked up some excellent books for a few dollars apiece (new).

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current recipe: indian home cooking 6: hybrid chicken "curry"

current restaurant review: back to bangkok thai deli

current whisky review: springbank 12 cask strength, batch 7

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#13 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thanks! Yes, both the gift certificate and 40% off coupon were for Border's. I'm forcing myself to buy things only when there's a coupon.

I ended up getting The Perfect Scoop, the hot day was inspiring. wink.gif The French Laundry dessert book (can't remember the title) almost won out though. Next time. wink.gif Too many books!

Which books are you considering?
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#14 canadiancook

canadiancook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(GrantK @ Jun 19 2009, 04:48 AM) View Post

Tacos by Mark Miller
Ratio by Michael Ruhlman

I just got the Bobby Flay burger book as a gift. Nothing much new in there.
The Perfect Scoop is an excellent excellent book.
I worked on Ratio, so I'm biased, but takes cookbooks in a different direction
Modern Spice is awesome. I reviewed it and Monica is also one of my favourite people.
I have Artisan but have never used it. I prefer to bake bread the old fashioned way.
Dorie's book is good also, but I don't bake as much as I cook so don't use it that often.

Or you could wait for Ad Hoc to come out in the fall.

#15 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

I want the fuschia dunlop books.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I have and love the Izakaya book. I cook from it sporadically (what I've tried has been very good) but it has lots of interesting information and is beautifully produced.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot