39 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,566 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:19 AM

lately, i like whole foods 365 brand because it's made with real cane sugar. i also like fentimans tonic which is flavored with lemongrass. i haven't tried qtonic, yet. which tonic water are you all using?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:24 AM

Fever Tree. Q tonic was disappointing.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE(helena @ Jun 30 2009, 08:24 PM) View Post
Fever Tree. Q tonic was disappointing.

To me, Q Tonic wasnt disappointing because, I never heard of it.. Rocky at Blue Hill gave it to me in a drink. I was shocked at how much better it was over the regular crap..

Fever Tree sounds like a must try. Where can i purchase some for use at my home.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#4 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:46 AM

I prefer a nice Gin Rickey myself, but if your objection to Schweppes, Canada Dry, etc. is the HFCS, you could try making your own. (NB: I have not tried this, because I prefer a nice Gin Rickey myself.)
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,566 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Jun 30 2009, 09:46 PM) View Post
I prefer a nice Gin Rickey myself, but if your objection to Schweppes, Canada Dry, etc. is the HFCS, you could try making your own. (NB: I have not tried this, because I prefer a nice Gin Rickey myself.)

morgenthaler's recipe is similar to fentimans. the main difference is that fentimans also contains ginger

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#6 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

Fever Tree sounds like a must try. Where can i purchase some for use at my home.

WF and Wegmans both carry it.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#7 robyn

robyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Jul 1 2009, 12:19 AM) View Post
lately, i like whole foods 365 brand because it's made with real cane sugar. i also like fentimans tonic which is flavored with lemongrass. i haven't tried qtonic, yet. which tonic water are you all using?

Qtonic seems all the rage these days. I had qtonic for the first time in New York a couple of months ago (it's not available locally). I thought it was awful. Flat (not many bubbles) - with a peculiar off taste.

My regular drink is gin with a splash of tonic (I'd probably drink it in Moscow in the winter). And my usual tonic is Schweppes diet tonic water. Even though it has artificial sweetener - it's a bit on the "bitter" side. Second choice is Canada dry diet tonic water (a touch sweeter than Schweppes). Third choice is regular Schweppes. Robyn

BTW - I would rather add a splash of water to my gin than ever have tonic from a "gun" a a bar. It's always disgusting.

#8 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:12 AM

Schhhh - you know who.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,566 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

please to provide your gin rickey russipee

~Jack Handey

#10 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(SRD @ Jul 6 2009, 03:12 AM) View Post
Schhhh - you know who.

Schweppes is traditional, or so I am told. A homemade tonic resulting in a brown-tinged G&T just seems wrong somehow.
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#11 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Jul 6 2009, 05:20 AM) View Post

Pretty basic: 1-1/2 (okay, 2) ounces gin over ice in a highball glass. Juice of half a lime. Fill with soda, garnish with a lime wedge and Bob's your uncle.

Sometimes if I feel fancy (and who doesn't, sometimes?), I'll add an ounce or so of dry vermouth and a dash of Angostura.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#12 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,566 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Jul 6 2009, 09:07 AM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Jul 6 2009, 05:20 AM) View Post

Pretty basic: 1-1/2 (okay, 2) ounces gin over ice in a highball glass. Juice of half a lime. Fill with soda, garnish with a lime wedge and Bob's your uncle.

Sometimes if I feel fancy (and who doesn't, sometimes?), I'll add an ounce or so of dry vermouth and a dash of Angostura.

could i use, say 8 ounces of gin?

~Jack Handey

#13 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

Depends on the circumstances. Some days, just pour in half the bottle and leave out the soda.

#14 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,336 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

Don't know about the tonic, but I must say I really enjoyed the g & t I had made with Miller's recently. Dangerously smooth.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#15 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,566 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(hollywood @ Jul 20 2009, 04:45 PM) View Post
Don't know about the tonic, but I must say I really enjoyed the g & t I had made with Miller's recently. Dangerously smooth.

is it made from poodle and husky parts?

~Jack Handey