#31 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jul 20 2009, 05:59 PM) View Post
I too am a huge fan of Beefeater, by far my favorite non-specialty gin for martinis. But I agree with SM that 24 is special. (I've only had it at bars and haven't been able to find any to buy for my home yet, I'm sorry/relieved to say.)

You will be. They are about to do a big p.r. push on the 24.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

So I finally broke down and got some Fever Tree and other "artisinal" tonics. My first G&T with Fever Tree (and the new No. 3 Gin) seemed great. But it's hard to tell whether the tonic is really that much better (which I suspect is the case) or whether I'm just trying to justify the higher cost to myself. No, really, I think it's probably materially better.

I also got some Fever Tree soda water. Need to make one of Squeat's Rickeys.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

The FT is the tonic i always use - and i think it's better than other brands - not that sweet at least. Their bitter lemon is pretty nice. But the soda is prob waste of money :)
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#34 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

I was afraid of that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#35 plattetude

plattetude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Haven't broken down and gotten it (yet), but the fine folks at Bittermans has taken a novel approach to tonic, making a quinine cordial, extracting more bitterness by using alcohol. In practice, then, you'd use a splash of this product ("Commonwealth Tonic Liqueur") topped up with soda water to give you some tonic with a kick.

Christopher

#36 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,770 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Oooh, that sounds good to me--it's the bitterness of quinine that I love.

Does it have fewer calories than using tonic water? Gotta cut somewhere, and I don't want it to be the gin.

Although damn, it's so chilly today, I can't even think about drinking a G&T. :(

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#37 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

Haven't broken down and gotten it (yet), but the fine folks at Bittermans has taken a novel approach to tonic, making a quinine cordial, extracting more bitterness by using alcohol. In practice, then, you'd use a splash of this product ("Commonwealth Tonic Liqueur") topped up with soda water to give you some tonic with a kick.

Christopher

The fine folks at my apartment do the same thing using cinchona bark and everclear.
I never said that

#38 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

I tried Fentiman's this past weekend. I liked the flavor but I missed the fizz of more commercial tonic. I primarily use Hansen's at home.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

I have the Fentimans and am going to try it next. (The world cares.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

<!--quoteo(post=1029333:date=Jul 6 2009, 05:20 AM:name=splinky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(splinky @ Jul 6 2009, 05:20 AM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1028368:date=Jun 30 2009, 09:46 PM:name=Squeat Mungry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Jun 30 2009, 09:46 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I prefer a nice Gin Rickey myself, but if your objection to Schweppes, Canada Dry, etc. is the HFCS, you could <a href="http://www.jeffreymo...n-tonic-water/" target="_blank">try making your own</a>. (NB: I have not tried this, because I prefer a nice Gin Rickey myself.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
please to provide your gin rickey russipee
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Pretty basic: 1-1/2 (okay, 2) ounces gin over ice in a highball glass. Juice of half a lime. Fill with soda, garnish with a lime wedge and Bob's your uncle.

Sometimes if I feel fancy (and who doesn't, sometimes?), I'll add an ounce or so of dry vermouth and a dash of Angostura.

I did this tonight with my waste-of-money soda water. I added a splash of Falernum (instead of the vermouth and bitters) cuz, despite my protests to the contrary, sometimes I'm in the mood for a sweeter drink -- and this was one of those nights.

It was delish. In fact, I think this will be my Guest Cocktail of the summer.

Thanks, Squeat, wherever you are.
Bar Loser

MF Old