#31 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,657 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

Oh come on.

Tell you what: when you have an uncommonplace thought, please IM me and let me know so I can be sure not to miss it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#32 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

Oh come on.

Tell you what: when you have an uncommonplace thought, please IM me and let me know so I can be sure not to miss it.

"Uncommonplace"? Hmmm. Like the difference between Smoked Meat and Pastrami?

Ahhh, reminded of France, maybe I'll slip off to Cannes...Iles des Lérins... although I do love Menton better...What a great littoral there!

#33 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,657 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

Can I tell you how in awe I am of you that you've been to France?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#34 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

BTW, Sneaky, did you realize that an even larger community of the same ilk is in "The Greatest Borough in the World", with similarly "interesting" restaurants and food specialty stores; did you overlook that? Or do you consider Greenpoint "a different borough"?

#35 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

In more recent years, the Central American and South American population began to grow, and it is now dominant. Up thread, I mentioned a Latino grocery with 10-15 different kinds of dried, whole chiles. And, every imaginable type of Latino canned good, ethnic produce, etc. It's diagonally across Monroe Street from the Janek sausage makers and the Polish bakery where everyone is greeted first in Polish....

There are many, many churches in the neighborhoods. A look at their cornerstones will often show Cyrillic lettering, and their interiors will often have intricate mosaic or fresco work.

That's the case in many of the stores I frequent (and not-so-frequent) in Wallington & Clifton. It can be very cute, watching the counter girls get flustered when they realize you aren't a Pole & they really shouldn't have mistaken you for one. :lol:

You are right about those churches, though I haven't made a study of them. An afternoon drive through some odd streets between Clifton & Passaic one day led to some remarkable structures.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,657 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:05 PM

BTW, Sneaky, did you realize that an even larger community of the same ilk is in "The Greatest Borough in the World", with similarly "interesting" restaurants and food specialty stores; did you overlook that? Or do you consider Greenpoint "a different borough"?

Are you somehow suggesting that I don't go to Polish places in Greenpoint? WHAT? Can you possibly think that? Where do you get this stuff?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

Well, Greenpoint is much much nicer than the South of France...

#38 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:25 AM

Worth noting that down the street from Stefan's is the live poultry shop. Point to the little bugger you want and chop chop, pluck pluck and 10 minutes later you have a still warm bird carcass in your hands. Or you can just buy a recent kill from the reach in box. The only thing Botany doesn't have is a decent fish market. Other than that, you can get a decent haircut for about 9 bucks, stop in for a 1.50 draft at any number of bars that are open by 9 am, stop in Stefan's for something out of the smokehouse and a loaf of Banya's rye and then get some tacos from the joint OTB mentioned.

As previously mentioned, I do not guarantee your security once the sun sets...lol

#39 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Are you somehow suggesting that I don't go to Polish places in Greenpoint? WHAT? Can you possibly think that? Where do you get this stuff?

Maybe I'm trying the same method you have used to distort the gist of my posts...

#40 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

Worth noting that down the street from Stefan's is the live poultry shop.

You might want to elaborate on the ODOR of that live poultry shop. I like the taco place across the street, Tacos Matamoros, though.

Some shots I took on Flickr of it... haven't done an OTB post yet.

http://www.flickr.co...N00&q=matamoros
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#41 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Annual trip to Stefan's for Easter dinner is now complete.

Shank end of bone-in house smoke ham? check

Slab of rib in house smoke bacon? Check

Quart of potato salad for tonights dinner? Check

house made pickled beets and horseradish to keep grandma happy? Check

Loaf of banya's rye? Check

assorted kielbasa and kabinosi's? Check

and two links of a still warm, pork, rice, chunks of fat and heavily peppered something or other that my girlfriend behind the counter told me the name of in Polish three times but I haven't a clue? Check...will report back tomorrow on that one, as it is tonight's dinner...

Stefan's still going strong despite an ever changing demographic in the 'hood. Smoke house was so busy that my t-shirt smells like I was at a campfire...

Parker Ave
Clifton 07011

#42 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

and two links of a still warm, pork, rice, chunks of fat and heavily peppered something or other that my girlfriend behind the counter told me the name of in Polish three times but I haven't a clue? Check...will report back tomorrow on that one, as it is tonight's dinner...

Stefan's still going strong despite an ever changing demographic in the 'hood. Smoke house was so busy that my t-shirt smells like I was at a campfire...

The demographic is fascinating. A Hungarian butcher with 50 different kinds of sausage hanging in the store about 300 feet farther down Parker. A carniceria across the street, etc.

Maybe I look Polish, but every time I go to Stefan's, I'm greeted first in Polish. Then in English. Same at Banas Bakery.

Stefan & Sons
246 Dayton Avenue @ Parker Ave
Clifton 07011

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#43 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

The demographic is fascinating. A Hungarian butcher with 50 different kinds of sausage hanging in the store about 300 feet farther down Parker. A carniceria across the street, etc.

Maybe I look Polish, but every time I go to Stefan's, I'm greeted first in Polish. Then in English. Same at Banas Bakery.

Stefan & Sons
246 Dayton Avenue @ Parker Ave
Clifton 07011

Par for the course. I can assure you I DON'T look Polish and she says hello in Polish every time I'm there...which is pretty frequently...

Next time in try the potato salad. So simple, yet so good.

The white pork and rice "sausage" she sold me was awesome...hints of nutmeg, lots of pepper, light on the garlic, some fresh parsley. The texture of the pork was almost shredded, yet seemed to be put through the grinder too. Label said something about it being Hungarian...it was still warm when she handed it to me...

Love this place...

#44 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

I've been meaning to post about my visit to Janek's meat market (200 Monroe Street) in Passaic last week. They had both the smoked sausage / kielbasy and the "double smoked" sausage / kielbasy. They expect to have a summer sausage up for sale in the next few weeks. Fewer sausages, and less choice than I recall from previous visits. Still, the people are delightful.

Check the website, they're getting into festival season, and the crew usually sets up at several fairs and festivals. That shut down the store for a few days.

The Mexican grocery across the street (corner of Hope at 195 Monroe) has expanded its selection of cactus, tomatillos, tomatoes, etc. Prob 4-5 different kinds of packaged tortillas, and 40 different small bags of regional Mexican and central American spices and herbs, etc. Most were a buck to $2. I think this has expanded considerably, as has the fresh meat service case. Skirt steak, tripe and various other cuts and cuttings of carniceria, too.

There's a large selection of bagged smoked dried peppers. Ancho, morita, Guajillo, pancha, cascabel, etc. Bags were mostly $2.50, and averaged about eight oz.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#45 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

It is with much sadness I report that Stefan's is set to close "at the end of this week." I received the news second hand, but from a guy who has long been plugged into that 'hood. So it should be solid.

Tremendous loss to what I consider to be one of the OGs of "Artisanal" products. These guys have been doing it the right way--fresh, homemade and in the old classic tradition--for generations, long before it became a catch phrase. I've noticed that their house made offerings had started to dwindle over the last several months, but never really put 2 and 2 together. I just figured it was a place that had a favorable real estate situation and enough customers that came back to the neighborhood to ensure that it would be there forever. Really a shame...Best fresh hams I've ever tasted...