80 replies to this topic

#31 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:23 AM

I actually like iced coffee made with instant coffee. It's the way my mom made it during the summers when I was a kid and it was the only time she let me drink coffee.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#32 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(Jaymes @ Jul 11 2009, 05:51 PM) View Post
QUOTE(joiei @ Jul 11 2009, 05:32 PM) View Post
I will brew up a pot of regular (strong to some, like the maids) coffee the night before and put it in the fridge. Then the next day I have a prechilled jug of coffee to drink from. And with the temps in the 100s right now I do this every day. I use Topeca coffee, a local roaster. He brings the coffee in from his familys plantation in Costa Rica so it is a tree to cup operation.

Wow. That's pretty cool.

As for "cold brewed coffee" couldn't I just put coffee and cold water into my French press and let it sit overnight in the fridge?

RE the iced coffee thing... I've always just brewed really strong coffee, poured it over ice, added half & half and a spoon of sugar.

Sometimes a little liqueur like Amaretto or Kahlua.

that works too. If you forget to make your pot the day before.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#33 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Jul 11 2009, 11:23 PM) View Post
Bustelo is, like, the easiest, cheapest strong instant (and ground) coffee to get in NYC, and as OTB pointed out, probably wherever there are Caribbean Hispanic populations. I'm not so sure it's available where there are predominantly Mexican Americans. Apart from the fact that the instant occasionally tastes like someone dropped cigarette ashes into it, it's probably the best instant I've had since Taster's Choice stopped making their whatever-they-called-their-strong-version (Malabar something?). Way better than Medaglio d'Oro, imo (both instant and ground).

And for a few years, when we couldn't be bothered to go to Oren's or Porto Rico Importing or one of the other good sources of beans, our "house blend" was equal parts of Bustelo ground and Santa Clara (a brand from Brazil, also from the supermarket in a vacuum-packed brick). The flavor was strong, not bitter, not acidic. No special hints of floral or other fancy stuff, but a decent cup of coffee. Which is all I was looking for.

Now I've got fancy beans again, from New Orleans and Vermont, and have to drink it all by myself since Paul has decided that caffeine is taboo. I've recently figured out how to make a single cup of real coffee with the itty-bitty Melitta cone, but when I just want something that tastes like coffee, Bustelo instant is my go-to. One heaping teaspoon to 8 or 9 oz of water. It's close enough to coffee to be satisfying. laugh.gif

Bustelo and Pilon rock for making iced coffee. Period.

As to whether theres an occasionally cigaratte ash taste I think that's myth, but if it helps you enjoy it...

Fancy coffees in my opinion should be drunk hot and appreciated black. With iced coffee, you're drinking more of the stuff and diluting it with ice and milk and sweetening it up, there's no point in using the expensive stuff at the rate I consume it. Bustelo and Community are fine. Even Medaglio d'Oro which I believe is made by the same company as Bustelo but has a slightly different roast. Probably even the mass market roasted blends like Savarin too, which is made here in NJ. Once you go beyond a full roast a lot of regional characteristics of coffee are destroyed, for the expensive coffees I like medium roasts and those aren't particularly good for iced coffees.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#34 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,956 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

I don't understand this cold-filter methods. I thought coffee had to be brewed at 205* or the artisinal stuff didn't come out of the beans?

And she was.

#35 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,322 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

did the 12 hours overnight in the french press method. poured half and half over ice in a tall glass, added some coffee concentrate and some homemade chocolate simple syrup and i'm in mocha heaven

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#36 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,891 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

Ooh, thanks for reminding me that I have some cardamom-chocolate syrup in the fridge. smile.gif

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#37 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Jul 12 2009, 11:30 PM) View Post
Ooh, thanks for reminding me that I have some cardamom-chocolate syrup in the fridge. smile.gif

that would be real nice in some iced coffee.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#38 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:36 AM

I just make my coffee as usual, but run it through a huge jug of ice very quickly, all the while having a big glass of loads of ice and milk nearby. So complicated?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#39 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Jul 12 2009, 10:36 PM) View Post
I just make my coffee as usual, but run it through a huge jug of ice very quickly, all the while having a big glass of loads of ice and milk nearby. So complicated?

Doesn't that really water it down?

The Voice of America

#40 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(OTB @ Jul 11 2009, 04:48 PM) View Post
I have a large electric kettle that I fill with 1.5L water. I turn it on and I boil the water.

You lost me here. Could you please explain this step in greater detail?

I have to try this cold brewing thing with my French press.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#41 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,868 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

So, I need to mention this. I've known about the cold brewing method for yonks because that's how my grandmother always did it. She bought her toddy at Abercrombie & Fitch back when it was still a camping outfitters. Anyway, when she found out there was an A&F in the local mall a few years ago, she insisted on going in there and asking if they had replacement filters. (They didn't.)
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#42 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Jul 11 2009, 06:45 PM) View Post
* Use Bustelo instant decaf if you can find it, for drinking at all hours.

We have a wonderful huge store featuring all things Hispanic/Latino. It's Fiesta Mart. Just emailed them and got a very nice reply. They carry a full line of Bustelo products.

So, Suzanne, no rotten tomatoes as of yet, and I've learned about a great new product.

Thanks for taking the risk!

smile.gif

The Voice of America

#43 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,891 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

I think I went to a Fiesta Mart in Dallas. It was fabulous. wub.gif And HUGE. (well, supermarkets just about anyplace else are huge by Manhattan standards.)

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#44 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

picked up a 7oz jar of the instant bustelo for $3.99. cafe caribe brand is even less expensive but i notice it stays on the shelves unless the bustelo is sold out

~Jack Handey

#45 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(Jaymes @ Jul 13 2009, 02:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Jul 11 2009, 06:45 PM) View Post
* Use Bustelo instant decaf if you can find it, for drinking at all hours.

We have a wonderful huge store featuring all things Hispanic/Latino. It's Fiesta Mart. Just emailed them and got a very nice reply. They carry a full line of Bustelo products.
So, Suzanne, no rotten tomatoes as of yet, and I've learned about a great new product.
Thanks for taking the risk!
smile.gif

I can't remember, is Fiesta where you picked up the Tajin?
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.