5 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,081 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

I had the opportunity to visit the New Belgium Beer Company in Fort Collins last week. The rapidly growing firm brews Belgian influenced beers in a brand new facility.

They currently make about 15 beers, including several under contract for other brewers. I liked their abbey ale, their 1554, their dandelion ale, and their sunshine wheat. While I usually like a trippel, their version didn't excite me. Nor did their Folie. They also poured a Loser ale, brewed under contract, which was very hoppy.

Tours are offered on the hour, and the day's supply of tours is exhausted by 11 am on the weekends. You don't need to go on the tour, you can sample four beers by showing up.

The brewery is committed to "green brewing". They purchase wind power, and supply their own solar power and solar hot water, and are generally off the grid. Spent grains are fed to cattle and chickens, and much of their water is recycled and reused in non-beer activities, I understand.

Employees receive a bike, and many commute to work by bike. At the completion of one year and they enter the stock ownership plan, and get a trip to Belgium on the completion of five years.

New Belgium

The brewery has an extensive panel discussing possible dinner and cheese combinations for each beer. For the 1554, several local chefs offer suggestions and analysis of choices.

1554 pairings

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,081 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:57 AM

Per Eater, the New Belgium Brewing Company's Fat Tire brew will be available at the new BLT Grill at 123 Washington Street in Manhattan

Finally?

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,081 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

New Belgium has expanded its distribution to Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland.

At present, they have no plans to enter the NY NJ area with full distribution

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,567 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Per Eater, the New Belgium Brewing Company's Fat Tire brew will be available at the new BLT Grill at 123 Washington Street in Manhattan

Finally?

That would be the only reason to go there, then. <_<

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

Fat Tire is pretty much awful.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,567 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:40 PM

Oh, well, then there's really no reason to go to BLT Grill, because the food and service aren't any good, either.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table