7 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

The NY Times has a nice article on this restored food market in downtown Madrid. After a lengthy restoration, it's become a magnet for shoppers.

“It’s a traditional market for the 21st century,” said Ana Martín, a publicist for the 33 vendors loosely linked side-by-side under a soaring wood-and-iron roof. By day the Mercado woos residents and visitors alike, with purveyors hawking everything from produce to fish, fresh pastas to pastries, cookbooks to cooking utensils. After hours, the crowd shifts focus to beers and tapas; the frutería closes; a wine bar draws a genial mob.

Reminiscent of Les Halles

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:25 AM

That's good to know, it's been under renovation forever and ever. The markets in Madrid are ok, but generally haven't enjoy the same renovations that those in Barcelona have seen. Will report from there soon.
I never said that

#3 rohandaft

rohandaft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(Orik @ Aug 5 2009, 01:25 AM) View Post
That's good to know, it's been under renovation forever and ever. The markets in Madrid are ok, but generally haven't enjoy the same renovations that those in Barcelona have seen. Will report from there soon.

San Miguel was being renovated when I last passed by a couple of years ago. I hope it works - Santa Caterina and Barceloneta markets in Barcelona have lost some atmosphere and - worse - some traders with their renovations. Biggest loss for me was the beef butcher at Santa Caterina - not easy to buy good beef in Barcelona.

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

I was amazed at the modernized Barceloneta market, but there didn't seem to be a heck of a lot of stalls. I haven't been to Santa Caterina since the renovation.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:43 PM

I'm not sure it's the ideal place for everyday shopping, but it sure is an extraordinary food court.

The concept is very different from the Boqueria, where you sit down at one of the bars to eat - here you can either do that but you can also pick your food from several places and the wine from others and just sit down anywhere.

You could get, for example, some salpicon de mariscos:

From 100% Galician, sustainable, day boat vendor Lonxanet, where the decoration is also food:

Or Daniel Sorlut oysters:

Or maybe some jamon:

And have it with wine from Pinkleton, who'll pour anything from 2 Euro whites to 29 Euro glasses of Vega Sicilia. Their decor is convincing:

There's also another wine vendor who'll sell you CVNE Imperial Reserva for 12 Euro for a half bottle, and many other options.

Open continuously from 10am to Midnight (2am on weekends) and a huge, if soulless success.

I never said that

#6 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

I was here a month or two ago and found it too crowded and noisy and couldn't get the food I wanted, or find anywhere to sit or even rest a glass -- so we had a few oysters and legged it.
We were there about 9:30 or so -- maybe earlier would be better.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

At 3pm it was very lively but not insane.
I never said that

#8 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:08 AM

If I'm there at midnight, on the late nights, are most of the food options available? I'm thinking a Thursday night.