71 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

Spam, of course, is universal, but my mention of it on another thread seemed to turn delicate stomachs.

Although it originated in the States, Spam - or spiced ham to give the full yummy name - became very popular in the UK, probably (although I haven't confirmed it) during time of food shortages during and following the Second World War. Eaten as the main ingredient of a salad (i.e. sliced cucumber, pickled beetroot, lettuce and tomato, with Heinz Salad Cream), as a sandwich filler, or dipped in batter and deep fried. The latter is a Spam fritter, and they were a weekly item on the school lunch menu growing up. With Heinz Baked Beans, I think.

Here's another quaint British snack, the gala pie. Essentially, this is a pie with the same crust and spiced pork filling as the traditional pork pie, but made with the addition of eggs. The shape is rectangular to display the eggs to proper effect when sliced.

More tasty treats?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

My London-based business partner sends me care packages of Walker's Chips. I just finished a box that included Chili Chocolate, Hoisin Duck, Cajun Squirrel, Onion Bhanji, Fish & Chips, and some Breakfast blend. I couldn't be happier.

When I stayed near Harrods last year, nothing made me happier than the fact that I could go every morning and get some form of meat en croute for breakfast. I love 'em!

#3 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Haggis. A sort of superior meatloaf, made with interesting parts of the sheep and helped out with oatmeal rather than breadcrumbs. Should be good and peppery.

Oddly, I've seen "vegetarian" haggis in New York from time to time (which I suppose is a sort of lentil loaf or something), but not the real thing. Traditional accompaniments above - mashed swedes and turnips.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,112 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

Spam haiku:

SPAM glistens pinkly;
Cat taps it with wary paw
To see if it's dead.

Outdoor church potluck.
SPAM casserole steams in sun.
Flies choose the tuna.

Split the SPAM atom
Enormous pink mushroom cloud
World covered in pork

Born in World War Two.
Hogs marching off to battle.
Dressed in tin armor

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Aug 18 2009, 12:05 PM)  
My London-based business partner sends me care packages of Walker's Chips. I just finished a box that included Chili Chocolate, Hoisin Duck, Cajun Squirrel, Onion Bhanji, Fish & Chips, and some Breakfast blend. I couldn't be happier.

Yes, surely the best of the mass market crisps (not chips), although doubtless the stores are now full of "craft" brands. I grew up with none of those flavors, though.

When I stayed near Harrods last year, nothing made me happier than the fact that I could go every morning and get some form of meat en croute for breakfast. I love 'em!

Just say pie, please. wink.gif
Elect-a-lujah

#6 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

This was a pretty good thread on eG.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

Toad in the hole is thought typically British, but I suspect it has earned its reputation through its name. Did anyone eat this stuff regularly? I remember it as an occasional school lunch dish. Basically, ordinary pork sausages in a batter - much the same kind of batter you might use for savory pancakes.

More commonly served without the sausages, it's called Yorkshire Pudding, and is a traditional side dish for roast beef. Usually eaten with the gravy from the beef, although I have heard of people spreading jam (jelly) on it. Neither of these dishes are favorites of mine.

Elect-a-lujah

#8 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Aug 18 2009, 12:13 PM)  
This was a pretty good thread on eG.

Too much living in the past. laugh.gif
Elect-a-lujah

#9 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Aug 18 2009, 09:09 AM)  
Just say pie, please. wink.gif

Well *you* would have understood that, but everyone else might have thought I was eating pie... ninja.gif

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Googling faggots is an adventure.

Regional diversity. I never saw these in fish 'n' chip shops in the South East (where saveloys, saveloys in batter, spam fritters and even burgers in batter were meat options); but they were popular in west country fish 'n' chip shops. Never did see a battered faggot though (and I am not going to google it).
Elect-a-lujah

#11 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Aug 18 2009, 12:06 PM)  
Traditional accompaniments above - mashed swedes and turnips.

Sassenach. Should be mashed neeps (Brassica napobrassica, i.e., swede or rutabaga to the septics) and mashed tatties. I can't recall ever seeeing a real turnip (Brassica rapa rapa) in Scotland.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#12 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Yes, neeps=swedes. I didn't think it looked like potatoes in the picture, though.
Elect-a-lujah

#13 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

Ye olde saveloy.

Elect-a-lujah

#14 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Aug 18 2009, 12:13 PM)  
Toad in the hole is thought typically British, but I suspect it has earned its reputation through its name. Did anyone eat this stuff regularly? I remember it as an occasional school lunch dish.

A regular on our school lunch rotation.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#15 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

My first taste of crisps was Smiths Salt and Shake, early 1960s, the salt was in a little blue bag.
Pic.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid