Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,675 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Is New York any different?

No.

Except that, as a stretch, you might make out some kind of continuity between the very old bars and restaurants still in existence and an arm-garter driven, bewhiskered cocktail culture.

But that would be a stretch, and given the 80+% African American demographic in Detroit, and the urban decay, you would stun me if even that stretch could be applied there.

#437 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,703 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

hmmm..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#438 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,703 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

I went to a cocktail bar the other day, Dick and Janes in Cliton HIll.. It was so refreshing to get a pretty decent cocktail without having my bartender having a handlebar mustache, wearing suspenders and trying to speak to me about the upcoming Civil War that Lincoln is getting us involved in.

It might have helped that all the bartenders were pretty hot, suicide looking girls.

#439 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,675 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

And they didn't give you any nonsense about reviving a long-lost hot suicide girl culture?

#440 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Detroit is a company town. It will succeed or fail based on how the industry evolves. There isn't really much else there.

It's a bit more complicated than that. (I'm an ex-Detroiter and my mother still lives there.) The city of Detroit has lost half its population since the 1950s, with a good deal of it going to the suburbs. There are still plenty of highly affluent areas surrounding Detroit, but almost none in the city itself. It's like an apple with a rotten core. Now, Detroit is indeed a one-industry town that is heavily cyclical, but for the decline of the city itself over such a long period, that is not the sole explanation.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#441 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,703 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

And they didn't give you any nonsense about reviving a long-lost hot suicide girl culture?

No they did not. But my wife commented that they were hot suicide girls so I am allowed to repeat it.

#442 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,675 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

You probably didn't even notice until your wife pointed it out. Happens to me all the time.

#443 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Actually the Lenape Indians looked just like this:

Posted Image
Bar Loser

MF Old

#444 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,675 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

They don't call you Deerslayer for nothing.

#445 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

of course, leaving aside some of the affectations (and the mingling of 1920's speakeasies with 1870's cocktail culture), the connection between SCB's today and the cocktail culture of the 1870's and 1880's isn't entirely tenuous. they really did call them mixologists then and Jerry Thomas was a real dude.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#446 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Actually the Lenape Indians looked just like this:

Posted Image

I'll have that Negroni now.

#447 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'll have that Negroni now.

I'll have two.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#448 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:12 AM

If Oakapple still doubts that some people actively prefer restaurants without amenities, I invite him to check out the comments to the Eater post about the new Manhattan Mile End sandwich shop.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#449 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

If Oakapple still doubts that some people actively prefer restaurants without amenities, I invite him to check out the comments to the Eater post about the new Manhattan Mile End sandwich shop.

My "doubts" about that have probably been overstated. It was always obvious that some people preferred this. I just felt that we ought to be doing a better job of educating them.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#450 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

You can't educate people to like what they don't like.

It's not like these people don't know about coat checks, seats, etc. They know about them and don't want them.
Bar Loser

MF Old