19 replies to this topic

#1 Mackenzie

Mackenzie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hallo,
I often use Firefox, a great browser, and sometimes go to Tools - Options - Security - saved password to read and erase the passwords for the sites that I visit.
Do you know if there is a way to shorten this path, maybe insert something in the toolbar to speed up this task?
Thank you

#2 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Mackenzie @ Aug 21 2009, 02:23 PM) View Post
Hallo,
I often use Firefox, a great browser, and sometimes go to Tools - Options - Security - saved password to read and erase the passwords for the sites that I visit.
Do you know if there is a way to shorten this path, maybe insert something in the toolbar to speed up this task?
Thank you

Use CCleaner. That allows you to clean your drive of all cached garbage and you can set it to wipe your cached history and passwords.

http://www.ccleaner.com
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#3 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

Another way in Firefox is to use Tools->Clear Private Data. You can set up what this clears by going to Tools->Options->Privacy (Edit->Preferences->Privacy on Linux), then in the Private Data section, hit the Settings... button and you can select "Saved Passwords" and "Authenticated Sessions" (and anything else). If you want Fx to forget the passwords on every exit, there is a box to check for that. If not, a quick trip to Tools->Clear Private Data will do it as well.

Note this will wipe out all your passwords. If you only want to remove selected passwords, then you have to go to the dialog in Security.

ETA: Authenticated sessions, in case you don't know, are when you log into a website and it then remembers you are logged in even after exiting the program. I figured if you didn't want it to remember passwords, you probably didn't want to remember the sessions as well.

And, if you don't like the whole Tools->CPD bit, install the Clear Private Data+ add-on for a toolbar button, though it seems to have, in recent times, gotten less dangerous (i.e., has a confirmation popup).
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#4 Mackenzie

Mackenzie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

The problem is that I have to delete a single password at a time and not all.
Thanks the same.
Bye

#5 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

I'm not sure if you want to save some passwords, but get rid of others - those are usually saved in the cookies. That's why OTB recommended CCleaner.

Open it up, and check or uncheck the places you want to have cleaned out.

If you want to erase all your passwords, check Cookies. If you want to save some so that you don't have to sign in every time, but erase all the rest, click on Options, then on Cookies.

In the left pane are all the cookies that reside on your computer. Go down the list and click on one you wish to save so that you don't have to log in the next time you visit the site. Hit the right arrow to move that cookie to the right column and then that password will be saved.

After you've gone down the list, saving some by moving them to the right column, click up in the left corner to return to the main CCleaner page. Then click on Run in the lower right, and all the areas that you left checked [including the cookies you no longer want to retain] will be emptied.

The first time you use it, there will likely be a long list of cookies to choose from. But if you run it every couple of days, the list will be much shorter, and all the ones you want saved will always be saved.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#6 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

This isn't really a Firefox problem but all of a sudden I can't get any Typepad sites, including my own.
Typepads response was : Are you still noticing a problem? If so, you may want to check your local network and internet service provider (ISP) to insure your site is not being blocked.

Is there a way to check if my provider is really blocking them? It seems nuts.

And the fun with Typepad is they take a day to repond, you reply and then you wait another day. And you pay for this service!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,228 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE(memesuze @ Aug 22 2009, 03:15 PM) View Post
I'm not sure if you want to save some passwords, but get rid of others - those are usually saved in the cookies. That's why OTB recommended CCleaner.

Open it up, and check or uncheck the places you want to have cleaned out.

If you want to erase all your passwords, check Cookies. If you want to save some so that you don't have to sign in every time, but erase all the rest, click on Options, then on Cookies.

In the left pane are all the cookies that reside on your computer. Go down the list and click on one you wish to save so that you don't have to log in the next time you visit the site. Hit the right arrow to move that cookie to the right column and then that password will be saved.

After you've gone down the list, saving some by moving them to the right column, click up in the left corner to return to the main CCleaner page. Then click on Run in the lower right, and all the areas that you left checked [including the cookies you no longer want to retain] will be emptied.

The first time you use it, there will likely be a long list of cookies to choose from. But if you run it every couple of days, the list will be much shorter, and all the ones you want saved will always be saved.

Good suggestion. Thanks to you and OTB for the recommendation.

Firefox also allows you to decline cookies on a selective basis, asking you on each site if you want to save these passwords. If you choose not to do so, the record vanishes when you exit Firefox. There's an institutional memory, so you're not asked each time you arrive at a site for which you've accepted or declined the choice already.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#8 marky

marky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:34 PM

I'm quite certain there is an option there that says to clear your cache (cookies,temp files, etc.) when you exit the browser. But if you need more cleaning power, i recommend you download and use Crap Cleaner.
People seldom notice old clothes if you wear a big smile. ~Lee Mildon clothing labels

#9 Rex1965

Rex1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:33 AM

I'm back to using Firefox. SeaMonkey would not allow me to use Facebook or update my Flash Player.
"We are gawna make the most amazing angel food harvest cake, for Kwanzaa" - Sandra Lee

#10 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Sep 25 2009, 06:59 PM) View Post
I can't get any Typepad sites, including my own.

Steve, Sounds like a possible anti-virus or firewall problem.

I have found Typepad to have very good customer service at the price point being paid.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#11 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

When using Firefox, how do you know if the page you're visiting is secure?

With IE, whenever I go to online banking or the like, a little lock shows up in the bottom right-hand corner or next to the address bar. But I can find no such lock or any other indicator on Firefox.

Is there one, or do I just trust that whatever information I send will be encrypted?

#12 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:56 PM

I use Firefox and just went to my banking website. The lock icon appeared on bottom right of my screen.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#13 LML

LML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

When using Firefox, how do you know if the page you're visiting is secure?

With IE, whenever I go to online banking or the like, a little lock shows up in the bottom right-hand corner or next to the address bar. But I can find no such lock or any other indicator on Firefox.

Is there one, or do I just trust that whatever information I send will be encrypted?

Go to view in the menu bar and make sure that status bar is checked. You will then see a padlock symbol at the bottom right of your browser window when connected to a secure site.
A dress is neither a tragedy nor a painting it is a charming and ephemeral creation, not an everlasting work of art. Fashion should die and die quickly in order that commerce may survive.

Food or frock?

#14 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

Thank you!

"Status bar" was checked, but the lock was tiny, so I didn't notice it before. I think I'm getting at that age when bifocals might be necessary. . .

Thanks again!

#15 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

A serious warning.

I've been using Firefox for over 4 years and like it a lot. Periodically it offers to update itself. I've always said yes. I was up to version 3.6 and this morning it gave me the option to move to the newly released version 4.0. "Sure," I figured. "Why not."

I'll tell you why. I clicked the upgrade button, and my computer chugged along. Thirty seconds later Firefox 4.0 was installed. Then I got a box telling me that it was checking the compatibility of my browser add-ons. Surprise! Three out of the four weren't compatible.

Assholes. It would have been nice to know that before I ran the upgrade. I had no strong urge to be the first on my block to run the new version. I would have waited until there were 4.0 compatible versions of my add-ons.

While 4.0 has been in beta testing for months and months it was just finalized yesterday. Mozilla is pushing it like mad. There's a link on their site which offers to let you install 3.6, the previous version. Surprise again! The only thing you can download is 4.0.

I had to go to a 3rd party site to download a previous version that works with my add-ons. It took around half an hour before I got things fixed.

If you're a Firefox user I suggest that you visit the websites of the publishers of each of your add-ons to see if they're compatible with 4.0 before you upgrade. Eventually they'll release compatible versions but there's no pressing need to upgrade before they do.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52