• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah Posh

Sarah Posh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hello Tdot! I was wondering if any of you could recommend a few places where I could get Vietnamese food. I'm kinda new to the cuisine, so I'm not sure where to go or what to try. Are there 'beginners' dishes that I should try first before moving on to the bolder stuff?

Thanks!

#2 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(Sarah Posh @ Oct 9 2009, 07:14 AM) View Post
Hello Tdot! I was wondering if any of you could recommend a few places where I could get Vietnamese food. I'm kinda new to the cuisine, so I'm not sure where to go or what to try. Are there 'beginners' dishes that I should try first before moving on to the bolder stuff?

Thanks!

Welcome Sarah,

I'm afraid I can't help, as I haven't lived in Toronto for a long time and had limited experience of good Vietnamese food when I was there, but I would also be interested in the answer to this question!
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#3 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

I know nothing about Vietnamese restaurants in Toronto, but I do have a couple of suggestions for "beginners' dishes." By all means, start with pho (pronounced 'fuh') and spring rolls. Pho is a clear broth soup to which one adds noodles and other options - sauces, chiles, meats, onions, cilantro, etc. It's very popular among Asians and non-Asians alike and you need to know about it. Supposedly the name comes from the years that the French occupied Vietnam and is a phonetic version of the 'feu' from 'pot au feu.' It's best to eat it with chopsticks and a spoon. You use the chopsticks to pull up and eat the noodles. And then the spoon to finish off the broth. If you're not good with chopsticks, use a fork to fish out the noodles.

Get the spring rolls as a starter.

The Voice of America

#4 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hit Spadina - it's a plethora of Asian eateries.

There are 3-4 great noodle places on the west side and 2 great Bahn mi places as well. The names escape me at the moment but I think one is Golden something.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#5 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Look for banh xeo, a lacy crepe stuffed with sprouts and shrimp (or pork). You cut off hunks, wrap in a lettuce leaf, with herbs and eat. Great textural and temperature contrasts.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#6 Sarah Posh

Sarah Posh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

Thanks all for the tips. I'll be sure to try pho cuz I've heard of it before. Not sure about the banh xeo though. maybe later on. I'm not too far from Spadina so I'll check it out.

Where do you usually go to find information about Vietnamese food?

#7 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(Sarah Posh @ Oct 9 2009, 05:45 PM) View Post
Not sure about the banh xeo though...

Where do you usually go to find information about Vietnamese food?

There's nothing challenging to the Western palate about banh xeo. In fact, I think there's very few Vietnamese dishes that are, maybe some that are heavy on fish sauce and stuff like blood cubes, but in general the flavors are restrained and balanced.

Living in Seattle, almost everything I've learned about Vietnamese food is from experience. There are some good cookbooks out there, but there's no substitute for asking a restaurateur what's best and what their favorite items are.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#8 Sarah Posh

Sarah Posh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Tighe. I googled the banh xeo and that stuff looks good! Looks like an omelet haha. Actually, I did find a site called www.pho411.ca. Looks like it's got a lot of information too.

#9 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

Sarah -

I think many MF'ers know about Vietnamese food and would be more than happy to offer you some really good tips about the cuisine, but they know nothing about Vietnamese restaurants in Toronto, so they haven't looked at this thread.

I'd strongly suggest you post your question in the Asian section. Call it something like "Getting to know Vietnamese food - where to start" or something similar. I think you'd get many more helpful responses.

The Voice of America