10 replies to this topic

#1 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,107 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

They do only Wagyu (or whatever the American version is called) beef, and they do it with the pharmaceutical cleanliness you might imagine a Japanese butcher would practice. Initially selection was small and the beef couldn't really compete with good dry aged USDA prime, but they've been gradually expanding and they've now finished the first round of 30 dry aging. Since it's experimental, they're selling the dry aged steak at the same price as they do the non-aged. They also have weekly specials such as custom ground beef for, I think, $4.99/lb.

We have a fabulous looking tongue (that they managed to peel uncooked ohmy.gif ) curing in the fridge.
I never said that

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,107 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:36 AM

The selection keeps expanding - they have Berkshire pork belly, some fish roes, and a wide selection of beef cuts (and what's not in stock is available by special order, although their phone line might be busy with people trying to break into Bohemian). We got a piece of short rib "for grilling", which due to the torrential rain turned into short rib for the cast iron skillet. Let me tell you - at $24/lb or so, this was a pretty amazing piece of beef (maybe readers who are happy to pay $$$s for a tiny piece of wagyu beef at Per Se should try it). Their dry aged offerings continue to look suspicious - there was a piece of strip in their fridge that seemed far gone, and some cowboy steaks that were on the way there.
I never said that

#3 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

any recent experiences here?

#4 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,605 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

Meat wise? I bought some thin sliced rib eye there maybe a month ago. It was delicious. The aged stuff in the case tho was mighty similar to what orik saw.
Why not mayo?

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,107 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

They have some very, very, very, good strips right now, the best meat I ever got there. 

I never said that

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

So, I was all excited for dry age last night.  I walked in an unfortunately, you now have to pre-order or just catch them on the right day.  I got a really beautiful piece of beef, ny strip, boneless, for $40 dollars a pound. The cut was 1.35 lbs or like 55 dollars.  

10076709544_0f94a83e28.jpg

Cooked on the range, finished in the oven until it hit 130.  Slightly more done than usual but, the marbling was so pronounced.  

10076806006_61c55ca8ef.jpg

Let it rest for 15 minutes.. Most of the juice occurred before I even cut into it.  

10076904804_005be5da7e.jpg

This was my third steak i cooked in about a 3 week period.. All from high end butchers. .This was the best so far. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

What/who were the other two butchers?

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Della Pietra's on Atlantic and well, not fancy but, the nicest steak they had at Paisanos. 

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,605 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Has anyone bought fish from them yet? I'm tempted by some of the "cheaper" offerings.

Why not mayo?

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Fish at Japan Premium Beef. I didn't see any available yesterday.  They did have salami, bacon and  pancetta which i have never seen before.  

#11 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,605 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

they have some braesola that's pretty good too.

Why not mayo?