#346 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

i got the cup4cup flour and hope to make a poundcake with it this week

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#347 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

I must say, ever since I started tagging posts "gluten-free" on the blog, I've seen a spike in readership and views. Makes me think I've been asleep at the wheel all this time. :blink:

#348 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

A question for those who know about this stuff: If one is avoiding gluten, are almonds verboten? :unsure: I ask because the apparently the folks at La Quenelle think so; if you click through to Pink Pig to the restaurant's site to have a look at their menus, you'll see they note that it is possible to order some of the menu items gluten-free by omitting certain elements of the dish. Okay, bread I can see, and kamut, but almonds???

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#349 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

A question for those who know about this stuff: If one is avoiding gluten, are almonds verboten? :unsure: I ask because the apparently the folks at La Quenelle think so; if you click through to Pink Pig to the restaurant's site to have a look at their menus, you'll see they note that it is possible to order some of the menu items gluten-free by omitting certain elements of the dish. Okay, bread I can see, and kamut, but almonds???

not so easy to find a menu on that flashstrosity. i'm guessing that they can't guarantee how the almonds have been processed, so to be safe they suggest omission. if it's ground or sliced you gotta know where the blades have been before and smoke flavoring could very well have barley or soy sauce (many brands contain wheat) in it for flavor.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#350 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

The gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe on Canelle et Vanille looks pretty awesome. I want to make them, but I need amaranth flour, rice flour, and tapioca starch. Maybe this weekend!

#351 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

really super pleased with bionaturae gluten free penne.

~Jack Handey

#352 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Dorie Greenspan offers a gluten-free baby cake with promises of more to come in her new cookbook

EDIT: arg, I can't get the link to work, here it is:

doriegreenspan.com/2012/03/im-chugging-away-on-a.html
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#353 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Dorie Greenspan offers a gluten-free baby cake with promises of more to come in her new cookbook

those look promising. i'd probably try them in mini muffin size or maybe even in madeleine molds. i added your link below

babycakes

~Jack Handey

#354 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

those look promising. i'd probably try them in mini muffin size or maybe even in madeleine molds. i added your link below

babycakes

Ooooh. Looks like I may have a new dessert staple, esp. one to pair with The World's Easiest Frozen Dessert™, almond ice milk.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

#355 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

how to make soba noodles
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#356 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

out of curiosity i ordered some corn couscous - tried it for tonight's dinner - it's quite pleasant with a faint corn flavor...
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#357 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

brioche
Posted Image

~Jack Handey

#358 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

That's some good-looking bread!

#359 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

That's some good-looking bread!

thanks, i fiddled with a recipe from artisan bread in 5 minutes and came up with a winner. it's got a lovely buttery taste and delightful crumb. my most all around successful gluten free yeast bread, so far.

~Jack Handey

#360 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

yay! gluten free gnocchi.
Posted Image

~Jack Handey