28 replies to this topic

#16 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

Actually, he could stand to gain a little weight. Even though he just bought new jeans a couple of sizes smaller than before. (He has NO ass. I hate him. laugh.gif )

So is it worth a day trip to PA to buy wine?

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#17 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Nov 11 2009, 09:51 AM) View Post
So is it worth a day trip to PA to buy wine?

Probably not, no. To get the most out of the PALCB, you have to know a lot about what you're looking for, and be able to work the system by looking for bottles/cases of wine in far-flung stores that you can have shipped to your local store. The first isn't a problem for you, I'm sure; the second is a lot harder to accomplish through a day trip.

Jonathan Newman's program was indeed great; unfortunately, since he was fired, it has gone downhill. The current system is one that works well for people who don't care about wine (they get Yellow Tail at a decent price) or know a whole lot about wine (and can work the system). But for people like me, who like wine but aren't especially sophisticated wine drinkers, it's difficult to know what to buy or how much to pay for it. Fortunately, there are several excellent wine stores 10 minutes away, across the bridge in the NJ suburbs....

Anyway, I'm glad Paul had a good trip. I presume that he had his pulled pork sandwich at DiNic's? (I don't think there is a D'Amico's at RTM.) That's a fine sandwich, to be sure. And Matyson's prix fixe is indeed a screaming deal- probably the best value in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood. With good timing, you can get in on a truffle or lobster menu, and laugh heartily at your fortune.
Andrew Fenton

#18 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE(fentona @ Nov 11 2009, 11:51 AM) View Post
I presume that he had his pulled pork sandwich at DiNic's? (I don't think there is a D'Amico's at RTM.) That's a fine sandwich, to be sure.

Yes, he did mean DiNic's. He corrected himself when he was telling me about it all over again once he got home. laugh.gif

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

#19 Rex1965

Rex1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:23 AM

Is Joseph Poon's still around?
What time of day will you be out and about? Go to Reading Terminal if you are out for lunch, please.
"We are gawna make the most amazing angel food harvest cake, for Kwanzaa" - Sandra Lee

#20 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Rex1965 @ Nov 17 2009, 10:23 PM) View Post
Is Joseph Poon's still around?
What time of day will you be out and about? Go to Reading Terminal if you are out for lunch, please.

Dunno about Joseph Poon's -- do tell.

He's been and come home again. And he went to Reading Terminal for lunch twice, you bet. Read upthread. smile.gif

#21 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,921 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Michael Klein notes that the DiNic location in Reading Terminal Market has moved, about 75 feet. Into the former Harry G. Ochs space. That venerable butcher closed last year.

Moving day

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#22 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Michael Klein notes that the DiNic location in Reading Terminal Market has moved, about 75 feet. Into the former Harry G. Ochs space. That venerable butcher closed last year.

Moving day

The Reading Terminal Market has become a depressing collection of "Food Network" type eateries, filled with unattractive tourists looking to eat gargantuan portions of food. The Food Fair stand is an exception, but hardly popular compared to its diner-type neighbors. Most of the other stands selling fish, meat, produce (with the exception of maybe one or two) are sad examples of an expired history.

#23 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,921 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Moving day

The Reading Terminal Market has become a depressing collection of "Food Network" type eateries, filled with unattractive tourists looking to eat gargantuan portions of food. The Food Fair stand is an exception, but hardly popular compared to its diner-type neighbors. Most of the other stands selling fish, meat, produce (with the exception of maybe one or two) are sad examples of an expired history.

You don't like DiNic? That said, the RTM is a lot cleaner, less grungy, more food theme park than it used to be.

I'd agree that much of the ingredients and meats, etc action has moved to the Italian Market district. Although it can be a zoo on weekends, strolling and shopping is very enjoyable during the week.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#24 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Will have to keep an eye on this thread--we'll be coming back to Philly in June for a performance of Dark Sisters, and I don't want to end up having to eat at Ruth's Chris as we did the last time we were there. <_<

#25 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Will have to keep an eye on this thread--we'll be coming back to Philly in June for a performance of Dark Sisters, and I don't want to end up having to eat at Ruth's Chris as we did the last time we were there. <_<

Go to The Farm and the Fisherman. It's an excellent and reasonably priced byob owned by an ex-chef from Blue Hill Stone Barns.

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,613 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

And keep your expectations for Dark Sisters moderate. (Or hope they've revised Act I.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Go to The Farm and the Fisherman. It's an excellent and reasonably priced byob owned by an ex-chef from Blue Hill Stone Barns.

Ah. "Reasonably priced" is very good. Our companions are retirees; when they're here we usually go to Bar Boulud for the brunch before Saturday matinees at the Met Opera, because it's the best value we've found nearby.

ETA: But does the guy know how to use salt? :lol:

And Sneak--maybe they will, since it's months away. If not, eh.

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,613 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

I think they might. Audience response in New York was kind of universal.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Ah. "Reasonably priced" is very good. Our companions are retirees; when they're here we usually go to Bar Boulud for the brunch before Saturday matinees at the Met Opera, because it's the best value we've found nearby.

ETA: But does the guy know how to use salt? :lol:

And Sneak--maybe they will, since it's months away. If not, eh.

He seasons quite well, and his meat, fish, vegetables, etc. are impeccably sourced.