14 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

My current BB/Verizon contract is almost up. I've been considering the iPhone, because I could then stop carrying both a phone and iPod. However, I've been looking at some of the new Win. Mobile phones, which seem to be designed to mimc the iPhone, such as the HTC Tilt 2 (called the Pro Touch at Verizon, I think). It's a little bigger, and apparently the Win Mobile phones' music playing ability doesn't rival iPhones (and I assume won't mesh with iTunes). I also believe that the app store for Apple still far exceeds available Win Mobile apps.

Of course, the biggest benefit of not going with iPhone is that I can stick with Verizon instead of moving to AT&T, which everyone tells me kind of sucks.

Any thoughts?

And she was.

#2 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

From both review sites and friends, I've heard that the latest go-around of Windows Mobile is...meh. Meh at best. Apparently it's still quite stuck in its stylus-based architecture, even with a touch screen.

My advice if you want to stick with Verizon is the Droid which is, most agree, far and away the best phone on Verizon (unless you are a BB fan). Of course, it is an Android phone, so that means that music playing isn't quite its strong suit (though I'd wager better or as least as good as WinMo). It also doesn't have quite the polish of the iPhone.

But it does have some advantages. The screen is just gorgeous at twice the DPI as the iPhone. It has a physical keyboard *but* it's not that great, I've heard. If you use Google services, Android will always be better integrated than iPhones or other phones. Plus, Droid has the really nice Google Navigator which, while not a real-life Garmin, isn't bad. Droid also has a cool clock dock for the bedside.

And, finally, it's on Verizon. I am pretty close to leaving AT&T and buying off my contract just so I can have a network that isn't bad.
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#3 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

I have the HTC TouchPro and am unhappy with Windows Mobile. It is clunky and has very poor battery management. The WinMo applications are not very helpful.

Look at the Droid with Google's Android operating system which is now available from Verizon. One of the people in my office just got one and it seems like a really nice "phone". They have an app store. Integration with Exchange server for work email. Nice music player. Long battery life (it seems).

Edit: Cross posted with TheMatt
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#4 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

First of all, as a longtime customer of AT&T, I've been very happy with their service both with my Moto Q and now my Blackberry 8900.

With Verizon, I second the recommendation of the Motorola Droid.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#5 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(Peter Creasey @ Nov 12 2009, 01:26 PM) View Post
First of all, as a longtime customer of AT&T, I've been very happy with their service both with my Moto Q and now my Blackberry 8900.

So *you're* the one with the service! smile.gif Actually, AT&T isn't awful in the DC area, but it's a far second to Verizon. You want to hear real wailing, head to San Fran or New York. The iPhone just killed AT&T's network in those cities; it's a joke!

I think the best customer service I ever had was with T-Mobile (actually started with Voicestream). They always treated me well, but their tortoise-like approach to 3G made me leave.
Dr TheMatt

#6 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

Droid's not an option -- insufficient security.

And she was.

#7 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Nov 12 2009, 01:48 PM) View Post

Ah. Hmm. I think, then, the HTC Imagio is the best WinMo (6.5) phone they have, though I'd probably go BB Tour before that.
Dr TheMatt

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,953 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Nov 12 2009, 09:48 AM) View Post

Huh? Really?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#9 theclash

theclash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

if you are going to get an HTC phone do some looking around here XDA for lots of tricks and hacks, including beta winmo builds for your phone

#10 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:25 PM

If you use your iPod a lot, it will eat up your iPhone battery. I still own both and only occasionally use the iPod in the phone.

#11 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Nov 12 2009, 10:25 AM) View Post
If you use your iPod a lot, it will eat up your iPhone battery. I still own both and only occasionally use the iPod in the phone.

I use my iPod on my phone pretty much all day at work, but I keep a charger in my purse and a charger for the car as I found early on that the battery doesn't last very long. I still think it's a great phone and a year later, I still don't regret it.

#12 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Nov 12 2009, 02:25 PM) View Post

The iPhone does pretty well compared to the iPod Touch if you clamp down on the radios. The iPhone 3G gets about 30 hours with wi-fi and 3G off (essentially airplane mode), which is about all you can expect from an iPod Touch as well. The wi-fi, though, that sucker is a battery killer.
Dr TheMatt

#13 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(TheMatt @ Nov 12 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Nov 12 2009, 02:25 PM) View Post

The iPhone does pretty well compared to the iPod Touch if you clamp down on the radios. The iPhone 3G gets about 30 hours with wi-fi and 3G off (essentially airplane mode), which is about all you can expect from an iPod Touch as well. The wi-fi, though, that sucker is a battery killer.

But wifi is better than 3G, no? At least, that has been my experience.
Andrew Fenton

#14 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

!
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#15 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

You don't need a Norwegian accent to have that experience with Siri.

And she was.