175 replies to this topic

#166 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

We all know they only want to go after a high-profile sports figure, not a banker, or an auto company poohbah, or one of the other liers who have testified over the decades.

tell me what banker or auto poobah (who to be honest I can't understand what you think they were lying about) there is concrete evidence they lied on the stand about.

Are you serious?

Actually I am.

I'm on my way to the airport right now, but when I get a chance I will type up a quick list of corporate reps who got on the stand and outright lied about their product.

I don't think I said that. I just said TARP/Fin Crisis Auto Bailout.
Why not mayo?

#167 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,663 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Didn't I tell you Bobby Valentine was going to be fun?

Last week he got into it with Curt Schilling. Over the weekend, he's running down Kevin Youklis. Pedroia is publicly scolding him: "I really don't know what Bobby is trying to do. ... That's not the way we go about our stuff around here. He'll figure that out. The whole team is behind Youk. We have each other's backs here."

This is only going to get better. :cool:

#168 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Time to dredge these up.

I don't think they make baseball caps big enough to fit his head. He really does believe he's bigger than the team.

I had a ringside seat for his act when he managed the Mets. Yes, he does know the game and initially players respond to him. The problem is that his motivational tricks wear thin and most players turn against him. He could pull that manipulation game on a team of 3rd stringers but he'll have stars in Boston with egos of their own.

It looks like the Boston ownership has shot itself up with a slow acting poison.

Valentine is an awful person. Within two years crowds with torches will march on Fenway Park and demand his head on a pike.

Posted Image

And to top it off the prick takes blame credit for inventing the wrap.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#169 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Bobby V. really ought to have his own thread.

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#170 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,663 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

I did look for a Red Sox thread, but it seems to have got buried. There was one.

I think the only thing you're wrong about is "slow acting." He has the team's two key players pissed at him already.

#171 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

I think the only thing you're wrong about is "slow acting." He has the team's two key players pissed at him already.

When Valentine was managing in Japan he spent a lot of time under the stands working in a special Asshole Cage, perfecting his moves.

#172 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

Yankee fans, buy yourself a beer. Bobby Valentine is on a roll. From ESPN -

BOSTON -- Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said he has apologized to third baseman Kevin Youkilis for comments he made Sunday, in which he questioned Youkilis' physical and emotional commitment.

Valentine, speaking before Boston's Patriots Day game against Tampa Bay -- a 1-0 Rays win -- said Youkilis approached him Monday morning. Valentine said he "totally apologized."
"I don't know if he accepted my apology. It was sincere," he said. "The last thing in the world I would want him to think is that this was anything but an answer to a question that seemed like the question was jabbing at him."

[Huh? Well Bobby, we're glad to hear you cleared that up. One thing is for sure. He's managed to unite the Red Sox. They're solidly against him.]

Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia backed his fellow infielder in comments to reporters.

"I really don't know what Bobby is trying to do," Pedroia said Monday. "That's not the way we go about our stuff around here. He'll figure that out. The whole team is behind Youk. We have each other's backs here."

Pedroia was then asked whether he thought Valentine perhaps was trying to light a fire under Youkilis, who is hitting .200 on the young season.

"Maybe that works in Japan," Pedroia said, referring to Valentine's successful stints as a manager in that country.

#173 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,663 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Wonderful. Pedroia is the heart of the clubhouse, especially now Varitek has moved on. Way to go, Bobby.

#174 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Pedroia's "maybe that works in Japan" line is ominous. It's unusual to see a player call out his manager like that. It's not a question of if Valentine pops off again, it's only a question of when. In the locker room Valentine already has 2 strikes on him.

Here's what I posted about Bobby back in 2008 -

That strutting little egotist is like a cut rate Mussolini, preening whenever a crowd of more than 2 people gathers.

I recently saw an ESPN documentary about his career as a manager in Japan. He hasn't changed a bit. He still loves the attention and puts his own position before that of his team, taking bows at the drop of a hat.

Valentine gave the film makers full access and was quite candid about many things. What was even more revealing was his expression and body language when he dealt with the public. The man loves the attention as much as anyone I've ever seen. That trait might be fine in an athlete but as a manager you really need to steer another course and put the team and the players before yourself. He can't do that. In time this type of behavior undermines his relationship with the players, the media, and the fans.

In Japan it seems to be different. Good for him. But if he comes back to the U.S. I'll bet the same problems resurface.

He's like the scorpion who stings the frog in the middle of the river. He can't help himself - it's his nature.

#175 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,663 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

It's not trivial. This is a senior player telling the manager not do what he's doing.

Try to imagine Jeter saying of Girardi, "We don't do things that way around here."

Did you pick up the spat with Curt Schilling? God knows, I have no love for Curt Schilling, but "I don't think he knows anything about out team" was a misguided response to his remarks.

#176 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Did you pick up the spat with Curt Schilling? God knows, I have no love for Curt Schilling, but "I don't think he knows anything about out team" was a misguided response to his remarks.

I heard Schilling's initial remarks. You can trust Valentine to mishandle the response.

Since I'm doing really good with the predictions I'll make another. Valentine will actually get some players to buy into his bullshit, enough to divide the clubhouse to a 70-30% degree. (The 70% being those players who see him as a manipulative asshole and the 30% who think he's a fiery genius.) He might get some results in the short term ("I'll show that prick that I can still hit!") but in the long term he burns players out.

The thing with Valentine is that unlike most good managers who just want to win, he has a pathological need to be seen as the reason they're winning. That's why he's constantly pushing himself in front to the microphones.