Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

I love those old ski posters...

A par 5 at Purpoodock...

Woods stash in the back nine...

Unfortunately, we got 20 hours of rain and 50F on Monday so all this is pretty much toast for now.
"Chicken Zaatar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah-akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"
- Rachael Ray in a potentially lucrative new gig

Portland Food Map.com

#32 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(johnnyd @ Jan 27 2010, 09:49 AM) View Post
Unfortunately, we got 20 hours of rain and 50F on Monday so all this is pretty much toast for now.

I asked a friend who dared to go out for a few runs yesterday how the conditions were. His answer cracked me up: 'Solid.'

#33 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(GG Mora @ Jan 27 2010, 09:57 AM) View Post
QUOTE(johnnyd @ Jan 27 2010, 09:49 AM) View Post

I asked a friend who dared to go out for a few runs yesterday how the conditions were. His answer cracked me up: 'Solid.'

laugh.gif I bet you could here him clattering around a mile away.
"Chicken Zaatar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah-akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"

Portland Food Map.com

#34 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

American Olympian Andrew Newell is featured in a NYTimes profile of XC skiing and fitness (click). He's a really exciting sprinter to watch.

It's a pretty decent article with good descriptions of the two styles of freestyle XC ski movements (V1 and V2).

I haven't a clue why it is in the Fashion and Style section.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#35 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(SLBunge @ Jan 28 2010, 10:57 AM) View Post
It's a pretty decent article with good descriptions of the two styles of freestyle XC ski movements (V1 and V2).

I haven't a clue why it is in the Fashion and Style section.

You've answered your own question.

It's the kind of editorial precision that the world will clamor to pay for next year.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#36 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

I've been skiing the past 3 Saturdays and Sundays, but today was really the best yet. It snowed a lot yesterday, which meant some difficult conditions, but today the sun was out and the snow was perfect. It was really beautiful: having a drink outside in the sun at a little hut on the side of a mountain, having dinner at another hut and then skiing down into St. Johann (Tirol) in the dark.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#37 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

I'm envious. There was a nice article in the NY Times recently about skiing in the Italian Alps, and the dining at the small cabins up on the mountain trails.

#38 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

I saw that too - terrific meals and venues, and the after-dinner trip down sounds great too

Portland Food Map.com

#39 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

I'm sure you will all be jealous that I went skiing at Afton Alps yesterday.

#40 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(SLBunge @ Feb 8 2010, 02:13 PM) View Post
I'm sure you will all be jealous that I went skiing at Afton Alps yesterday.

I'll see your Afton Alps, and raise you one Perfect North Slopes where I skied Thursday after work.

#41 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

After skipping last season entirely, I've opted to get back to skiing with a jumpstart. I signed on for a 3-day ski clinic for women at Stratton Mountain. Today was Day 1. Four other women in my upper-intermediate group. Did some great exercises, and I made a real breakthrough in my steep-terrain turns. My quads are toast, and I have 2 days to go.

#42 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(Ron Johnson @ Feb 8 2010, 02:27 PM) View Post
I'm envious. There was a nice article in the NY Times recently about skiing in the Italian Alps, and the dining at the small cabins up on the mountain trails.

I saw that -- it's only a four hour drive from here. I need to get A into some skis at some point, so we can have a long weekend together.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#43 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(GG Mora @ Feb 8 2010, 04:51 PM) View Post
After skipping last season entirely, I've opted to get back to skiing with a jumpstart. I signed on for a 3-day ski clinic for women at Stratton Mountain. Today was Day 1. Four other women in my upper-intermediate group. Did some great exercises, and I made a real breakthrough in my steep-terrain turns. My quads are toast, and I have 2 days to go.

Jolly good, GG. When I conquered steep trails it actually seemed easier than non-steep trails since you make gravity work for you. It's all mental anyway.

I am annoyed you people in the mid-atlantic are getting all our snow. It is BONE DRY up here in Maine. May you all suffer miserably.

Portland Food Map.com

#44 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

NYTimes has an article about the increasing popularity of throwback skiing. Sort of the localvore movement for skiers.

This article brings back good memories for me. I learned to ski at Sylvan Hill in Wausau, WI when I was 6 or 7 years old. It had a lodge at the base and two rope tows that were in series. So you could ski down from the top of the first rope or head over to the second (faster, steeper) rope to get you up onto the big hill. Taping your mittens with duct tape was a must. And I remember many a fall as I grabbed the rope and lost my balance.

#45 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

Mine was at Paoli Peaks in Indiana. I think they had the same rope tow system. At least once every trip I'd tighten my grip on the rope too quickly and get yanked head-over ski tips into a faceplant into the snow. This always garnered a nice round of applause from those waiting in line behind me.