1 reply to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,183 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

IanT thoughtfully posted the Michelin list for the UK and Ireland on another thread, but I thought it might be helpful to have a duplicate here.

The House at Cliff House Hotel in Waterford was awarded a star. I've included a slice of their menu below.

Michelin list

Main Course

McGrath's Black Angus Beef

Fillet, Grilled, Organic Parsnips, Smoked Bacon ,
''Béarnaise'' Mayonnaise, Beef Tea

Local Lamb

Rump, Sweetbreads, Kidney Pie, Taggiasche Olives,
Wild Spinach and Mushroom Cannelloni, Lamb Jus

Skeaghanore Duck

Breast, Seared, Sweet Potato Dauphine, Morels,
Garden Beetroot, Sherry Vinegar, Duck Juices

Black Sole

Baked on the Bone, Confit, Potato Mousseline,
Grilled Little Gem, Brown Butter Vinaigrette

Helvick Cod

Fillet, Poached, Brandade, Croquettes, Stone Leeks,
Sea Vegetable Vinegar, 62° Celsius Egg Yolk

Menu at Cliff House

Edited by Rail Paul, 15 January 2010 - 05:06 PM.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,183 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

It might be a good idea to visit Cliff House sooner than later.

The owner has pumped an enormous amount of money into it, and his main businesses are failing financially. That's rarely a good sign.

Barry O'Callaghan, the Irish entrepreneur who this week admitted losing millions in the media company EMPG, has pumped €3.5m into the Cliff House -- the boutique hotel he owns in Co Waterford.

According to the latest accounts for the company behind the hotel, Valshan Limited, Mr O'Callaghan was provided with hotel management services worth €3.5m by the firm in 2008.

The hotel company now owes Mr O'Callaghan almost €3.6m, up from just €906,362 the year before.

The company's accounts were lodged three days before Christmas and show cash shrinking from €784,323 to €17,890 at the company which runs the 39-bedroom property.

Accumulated profits dropped from €566,162 to €532,622. O'Callaghan, who is also the chief investor in Dublin restaurant Bentley's, was the biggest creditor of the company at year end.

The company had an overdraft of €610,102 in the year under review, which was repayable in one year or less. This was up from €74,665. The directors of the company took no remuneration.

Some press reports have suggested that Mr O'Callaghan has invested more than €20m in the hotel.

Irish Independent's report

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman