• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,443 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Jan 18 2010, 10:56 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Jan 18 2010, 10:40 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jan 18 2010, 06:51 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Lippy @ Jan 18 2010, 10:30 PM) View Post
Ranitidine generally takes the hard copy with him to work to read on the subway ...

I salute the habit, but I haven't had a commute of more than half an hour or so in many years, and unless you have a seat a broadsheet isn't the most comfortable reading anyway. I carry pocket-sized books on the subway for the most part, or easily foldable reads like the New Yorker.

Heh, this brought back a very nostalgic memory for me! When I first moved to San Francisco, passengers on Muni would fold their copies of the Chronicle in fourths, lengthwise, in order not to intrude on the other passengers. Haven't seen anyone do that for a long time. Sigh.

We were taught how to do that in high school. Which came a bit late for the students who had been commuting (and no doubt reading the Times) since seventh grade. It worked much better when the paper was wider; since it's shrunk (both in width and in page count), it feels terribly insubstantial when folded.

also when they shrunk it, they didn't make sure the columns lined up for the traditional style of folds, anymore. my high school commute was soooooo long that i had time to read the nyt and the wsj and still take a nap

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#32 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Jan 19 2010, 12:45 AM) View Post
QUOTE(ghostrider @ Jan 18 2010, 09:11 PM) View Post
QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Jan 18 2010, 09:04 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Jan 18 2010, 06:54 PM) View Post
I have paid the NYT for online content for several years, though. Namely the crossword puzzle (but don't get me started on Will Shortz -- that would be a thread in itself).

I hear ya. I effectively abandoned the puzzle after Eugene T. Maleska died. Now there was a crossword puzzle maker.

Does anybody remember Mel Taub, who used to do short stints of writing the puzzles when Maleska was on vacation? I worked in the same department as Mel for several years. I have no idea how well his puzzles were regarded, but he was a brilliant insurance underwriter & one of the nicest men I've ever met.

I really like Mel Taub [MUTABLE], but you could probably tell from my screen name that I'm a sucker for word play. Also anagrams. He excels at both.

I will convey your sentiments to Mel at next year's Retirees' Luncheon, assuming that we all live that long.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#33 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,306 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

Maybe I am just too dumb for my own good, but the metered article system surely isn't as easy to get around as it appears to be. Reports suggest the Times is considering a system like the Financial Times where they offer readers one free article (every 30 days) before asking for a subscription.

You can either pay the subscription or go into your cookies and delete ft.com.

huh.gif

#34 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Jan 19 2010, 01:16 PM) View Post
I have paid the NYT for online content for several years, though. Namely the crossword puzzle (but don't get me started on Will Shortz -- that would be a thread in itself).

I hear ya. I effectively abandoned the puzzle after Eugene T. Maleska died. Now there was a crossword puzzle maker.

Does anybody remember Mel Taub, who used to do short stints of writing the puzzles when Maleska was on vacation? I worked in the same department as Mel for several years. I have no idea how well his puzzles were regarded, but he was a brilliant insurance underwriter & one of the nicest men I've ever met.

I really like Mel Taub [MUTABLE], but you could probably tell from my screen name that I'm a sucker for word play. Also anagrams. He excels at both.

I will convey your sentiments to Mel at next year's Retirees' Luncheon, assuming that we all live that long.

Did Messrs. Taub and Maleska actually construct the puzzles themselves? I only became a crossword guy in the Shortz era. As I'm sure you know, he, like most crossword editors, just selects and edits the puzzles, generally. He doesn't construct them. I do understand, however, that he rewrites a lot of clues.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#35 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,487 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jan 19 2010, 01:31 PM) View Post
Maybe I am just too dumb for my own good, but the metered article system surely isn't as easy to get around as it appears to be. Reports suggest the Times is considering a system like the Financial Times where they offer readers one free article (every 30 days) before asking for a subscription.

huh.gif

They plan for most people to read it on hardware they control (e.g. the new Apple Newton, Kindle).

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#36 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,444 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(Orik @ Jan 19 2010, 01:51 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jan 19 2010, 01:31 PM) View Post

huh.gif

They plan for most people to read it on hardware they control (e.g. the new Apple Newton, Kindle).

The Apple angle is interesting. Some observers believe the NYT will be bundled in as a free or deeply discounted benefit in the new Apple tablet. I've seen that mentioned in several places.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#37 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(SethG @ Jan 19 2010, 01:48 PM) View Post

Did Messrs. Taub and Maleska actually construct the puzzles themselves? I only became a crossword guy in the Shortz era. As I'm sure you know, he, like most crossword editors, just selects and edits the puzzles, generally. He doesn't construct them. I do understand, however, that he rewrites a lot of clues.

Mel certainly did. He showed a knack for it as a kid & his mother encouraged him in it, telling him that if he ever couldn't find a job, he could write crossword puzzles & wouldn't starve.

I can't speak for the rest,
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#38 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Jan 19 2010, 10:16 AM) View Post

Please do! He has been a source of much pleasure for me over the years.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#39 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Jan 19 2010, 12:23 PM) View Post
QUOTE(SethG @ Jan 19 2010, 01:48 PM) View Post

Mel certainly did. He showed a knack for it as a kid & his mother encouraged him in it, telling him that if he ever couldn't find a job, he could write crossword puzzles & wouldn't starve.

I can't speak for the rest,

Maleska did, too, I believe, and he was indeed good at it. It is my understanding that Shortz is indeed more of an editor. I could be wrong.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#40 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:51 AM

Ah well, yet another website to delete from my favorites. No big loss.

#41 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,444 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

Here's the announcement.

A few free articles each month per reader, then the barrier kicks in. The Financial Times' online model

NY Times

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#42 Aaron T

Aaron T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

The NYT will go pay in early 2011. It may be the only publication that I would pay for access to on the web. I gave up my WSJ online subscription.
"There just aren't many new "uptight" reservation places opening, especially in the neighborhoods where older, more sophisticated diners are trolling for youngish women." - Stone

My blog: Savory Hunter @ www.savoryhunter.com

#43 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,306 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Anyone think this is going to be a successful move?

#44 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Am I wrong or didn't the NYT try a pay scheme a few years ago and it failed?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#45 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,236 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Jan 20 2010, 11:50 AM) View Post
Am I wrong or didn't the NYT try a pay scheme a few years ago and it failed?

You had to pay to read the columnists. I bid a tearful farewell to Maureen Dowd.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"Sorry about your cookie." - Steve R.'s response to Jim Leff's epic rant.