7 replies to this topic

#1 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

My mother has been a docent for the park that annually hosts an insane migration of sand hill cranes. They are wild and we went out to see them as they landed for the night, before our current nasty wet storm.

There were thousands of them coming in for a landing.

It was freezing cold but between the beauty, the noise and the fun of it, i could see being a birdwatcher.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#2 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

You were in Jersey & you didn't let us know?
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#3 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Jan 18 2010, 09:30 AM) View Post
You were in Jersey & you didn't let us know?

Do you have them in Jersey?
I remember someone from Texas asking how to cook them on eGullet once. I told my mother about it and she near fainted. She works at a sanctuary and the hunting is of course forbidden.
This was near Lodi.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#4 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

We do have cranes, though I'm not sure if they are sand hill cranes. Blue herons & egrets are more frequently seen in our Meadowlands here. When I was working in NYC, I used to while away my brief commute on the train by looking for birds.

I was being a bit facetious, in that Lodi NJ really isn't near the Meadowlands.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

#5 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

What is this "New Jersey" you speak of? It sounds dee-lightfull!

#6 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

We are known as The Garden State because everything smells so sweet!

And we're much better than the old Jersey.

#7 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:23 AM

Great pics, Steve! One of the things I really miss about living in Napa was seeing the cranes in the air...

#8 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Jan 18 2010, 03:46 PM) View Post
We are known as The Garden State because everything smells so sweet!

And we're much better than the old Jersey.

I have a set of "jersey" sheets and even a t-shirt made of the same! Is this new or old jersey? Either way, it's utterly decadent!