2362 replies to this topic

#1156 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,001 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think Allswell is one of the better restaurants I have been to in some time.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#1157 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,594 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I was going to say Masten Lake.

Brooklyn Star should be easy (the new premises are huge), but it's not new any more.

#1158 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Likelihood of getting in?
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#1159 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,001 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

I mean, I just wear something low cut and I tend to get a table fairly quickly.. Honestly, speaking, I would give them a call, the few times I have been there, it has not been crowded, which makes me nervous for them.

#1160 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,001 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Likelihood of getting in?

What about making an attempt at Bar Corvo? Also locanda vini e oili takes reservations.

#1161 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,129 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

On the basis of Bar Corvo's menu, I haven't been able to motivate myself to walk the few blocks it would take to get there from my apartment.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1162 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

The "1890s" clip is scary.

The dream lives on in Bushwick too.

Bushwick is over. When the founders of Ad Hoc Art closed up shop, they moved to Londonderry, VT, and are trying to set up some kind of collective here. But Londonderry was ethosed a long time ago. A very long time ago.

#1163 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,594 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Battersby gets big love in Tables for Two this week.

Trouble is, I don't know the reviewer, and I'm not sure I like the idea of sweetbreads "bobbing" in Caesar salad dressing. The oxtail 'n' mash sounds good.

Anyway,it's a data point.

#1164 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,103 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

As if proof that Brooklyn is over was needed - Whole Foods is apparently opening on Bedford and North 4th Street. Posted Image
I never said that

#1165 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,594 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

As if proof that Brooklyn is over was needed - Whole Foods is apparently opening on Bedford and North 4th Street. Posted Image

I've come to understand that you attach a different meaning to "over."

#1166 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,103 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

I've come to understand that you attach a different meaning to "over."

I thought we've been through it - over in the sense that the new frontier/cheap land/innovation by means of acute hipsterism/new-brooklyn-anything is done. Of course economically it's only going to get better, but everything it experiences from now on will be simple gentrification making it indistinguishable from downtown manhattan. Same people, same business owners, slightly discounted rents but probably not discounted enough to make up for the difference in traffic. Not a bad thing, surely, but nothing particularly Brooklyn about it.

eta: I'm only talking about Williamswick because that's the part I'm very familiar with, others seem to believe Park Slope is over too, I have no opinion:

http://www.newyorker...pe-is-dead.html

I struck up a conversation with Ogonnaya Dotson-Newman, who was fanning herself with a book called “Black Feminist Thought” while she danced, and asked her whether the closing of Southpaw signaled the end of Park Slope. “There are other cool things in Park Slope!” she protested. I asked her to name one. “Parents are cool, I guess,” she said, gamely. When I asked her how old she was, she answered, “Too old to be in the club.” Later, she told me she was thirty.

A few paces away, a young white man in a flat-billed Raiders cap, skinny jeans, and snow boots was talking to a black girl whose neckline plunged to her navel. I asked him the same question. “Park Slope is dead,” he said. “And it’s shitty timing, because I just turned twenty-one.”

I never said that

#1167 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,001 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Yup, time to move to Jersey City.

#1168 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,594 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Perhaps the only disagreement, then, is that I think what's happening in Billywick can't be found in Manhattan any more. I remember you predicting some interesting openings in the East Village, but from where I'm sitting it's all sandwiches and burgers, whereas there's a self-conscious movement towards grown-up, "proper" dining in Brooklyn.

#1169 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,103 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

There's a movement to try and collect $60/person instead of $30/person because rents are up. It's not easy, the natives are resistant, but most of these operations cannot survive on any less.

Empellon Cocina is an obvious example for an EV opening. There's some sort of high end modern (Spanish, I think) concept opening a block north, although they're about a year behind on construction. Whether you want to call IBV/Bohemian/Acme Noho is up to you but they're being fed off the same stream of people. Neta, although not good right now, aspires to be slightly above Nobu.

On the other hand, there's still a huge cheerleading effects in Brooklyn because it's severely underserviced - places like Upstate, Prima, Cukoo and Panther, etc. that open in the EV with nobody noticing, would be an event in WB. (which reminds me - is there any sea food/raw bar sort of place in Brooklyn?)

If you want to see where things are going, look at this - it's very useful as it mostly includes businesses that matter.

As you can see, WB and downtown are serviced about as well for coffee - a bit more dense downtown but that makes sense. Other parts of BK are like the UES/UWS:

http://thescoop.nytlabs.com/#!/viewList/coffeeshops

Bars, same story:

http://thescoop.nytlabs.com/#!/viewList/bars

But restaurants, hay caramba:

http://thescoop.nytlabs.com/#!/viewList/restaurants

This is all just numbers. The social aspect is that the people moving in are looking for 30% discounts on rent by now, not the 70% discount of the old days. They have kids, or live in some sort of non-roommate household, they're older, and they wouldn't know post-consumerism from post-consumer products.There's no reason to think anyone will want to service their dining needs but the same people who'll be doing it in the far west side or other new copies of Murray Hill.

For example:

http://therealdeal.c...in-goes-rental/

941-square-foot for $2800/month
697-square-foot for $2600/month
I never said that

#1170 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,129 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

(which reminds me - is there any sea food/raw bar sort of place in Brooklyn?)

Maison Premiere
Bar Loser

MF Old