1221 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,637 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

We've had a NBC pizzeria. We've had a NBC hot dog stand. Now we have a NBC deli.

Mile End, on Hoyt St. right south of Atlantic, is not only NBC, but Montreal-style. No pastrami and corned beef. Rather, smoked meat. (I remember the first time I went to the legendary Schwartz's in Montreal, as a young boy. I ordered a pastrami and corned beef combo. "You can't have a pastrami and corned beef combo," the waiter said. "Why?" I demanded. "Because they're the same thing," he answered. It took me a few years to understand that he wasn't blindingly ignorant.)

Smoked meat, as you all know doubt know, is brisket cured and smoked, as for pastrami, but spiced more lightly -- but more peppery. Here, I thought the smoked meat was peppery to a fault: Schwartz's smoked meat isn't so overwhelmingly peppery. But since, in true NBC fashion, everything here is made in-house, I'll bet that different batches vary. Also, they might not understand smoked meat yet; it might take them a few months to understand it.

That niggling complaint aside, I loved it. I didn't even bother to ask for my smoked meat fatty, but it was juicier than 12 Lucies. The "artisinal" approach pays off in spades: this was clearly a higher-quality product than Katz's -- although IT DOESN'T TASTE BETTER. The house-made mustard is a nose-clearing delight.

In keeping with the New Abstemiousness here at MF, I also salute Mile End for serving a reasonable-sized sandwich for $8, instead of following the usual New York deli practice of serving sandwiches that are much too big to eat for $12 or $16. I was fearing either walking out sickeningly overstuffed, or having to schlepp a half-sandwich along with me on the walk home. But no, not at all. Hell, if I weren't still recovering from an overwhelmingly fatty dinner the night before, I could have had a side of poutine.

Another enticing menu item (which I haven't yet tried) is the "Wilensky", which the menu describes as (house-made) beef salami pressed into an onion roll (10 cents extra for no mustard). Smoked turkey I'm sure I can take or leave.

Another difference from Schwartz's is that Schwartz's isn't blasting "I'm Waiting for the Man" when you walk in. And, of course, Schwartz's doesn't have the following notation at the botton of their menu:

"all meat, fish & vegetables are house pickled, cured, and smoked using local, pastured, line-caught & sustainable ingredients whenever possible."

Unlike most Brooklyn places, I think Mile End is actually worth a trip across the river for those who live in a less fashionable borough. Be aware though: although they stay open till 10 (on weeknights; 11 on weekends), they've been running out of smoked meat by 8 or 8:30 (so far in the two days they've been open).

I would say I can't wait to go back here, but the truth is, I'm more afraid that I'm going to eat here so much that I'll get sick of it. It'll be nice along the way, though.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,411 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

technically the verrazano goes over a harbor, not a river.
Why not mayo?

#3 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,554 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jan 27 2010, 03:22 PM) View Post
Also, they might not understand smoked meat yet; it might take them a few months to understand it.

If you put that in for me, I appreciate it.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,637 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

Oh, I put that in for myself. But I hoped you'd appreciate it, too.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,554 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(Anthony Bonner @ Jan 27 2010, 03:24 PM) View Post
technically the verrazano goes over a harbor, not a river.

But Sneak was talking about the Brooklyn bridge.

If you're going to be our neighbor soon then you've got to learn this stuff.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,637 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

If I wanted to refer to Staten Island, I'd have said "the more detached part of New Jersey".
Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

OMFG I've been watching this place get built. I had no idea this is what the deli was going to serve. The place is right around the corner from my kids' school. I think we'll be making some weekday dinners from this stuff.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#8 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

this is nice to know. i think it's worth walking the one and a half blocks from my apt.

ABCDEFGHIJKLNMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

bob marleycorn must die 

this food left intentionally bland

and i swear that i don't have a pun

originality is a bitter

#9 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

this was clearly a higher-quality product than Katz's -- although IT DOESN'T TASTE BETTER.
What other qualities are relevant?

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll definitely try it sooner rather than later.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,637 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(AaronS @ Jan 27 2010, 08:44 PM) View Post
this was clearly a higher-quality product than Katz's -- although IT DOESN'T TASTE BETTER.
What other qualities are relevant?

Grade and texture of the meat. Moistness. Tenderness.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,376 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

You didn't try the poutine?

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,637 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

Next time.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,376 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

Not an entirely irrelevant question: has anyone been to Henry's Public? I was just looking at the distance between Mile End and Montero's, and it's perfectly walkable, and noticed that Henry's Public is just around the corner from Montero's.

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,637 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

I keep forgetting I have to go there.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jan 27 2010, 09:36 PM) View Post
Not an entirely irrelevant question: has anyone been to Henry's Public? I was just looking at the distance between Mile End and Montero's, and it's perfectly walkable, and noticed that Henry's Public is just around the corner from Montero's.

my life loves it, I think it's a good addition to the neighborhood. burgers are very good, as are the oysters. turkey leg sandwich is the highlight for me. good to better cocktails, although I'm far from an expert on the topic. pricey for the neighborhood.

ETA - Montero's?? Why??