7 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:22 AM

i've seen these used for making dashi but have recently seen them for cold brewed iced tea. worth it?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:05 AM

Here you go....Tea thread.

Since you can't search on "Tea" (I found it by searching on "oolong"), maybe we should have a "Tea & Coffee" or "Non-alcoholic beverages" heading in the Liquids forum.

I have no info on the hario, however, so carry on....
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#3 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:23 AM

I have a mizudashi coffee pot and I really like it (they're pretty much the same in terms of design). You could easily use a pitcher with a tea sock or metal basket strainer (or French press) to do the same thing, though.

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:41 AM

i could use this frigoverre pitcher with a tea sock, i guess. i have a few of these and they only cost $4.95

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#5 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE(SeaGal @ Feb 9 2010, 09:05 PM) View Post

Since you can't search on "Tea" (I found it by searching on "oolong"), maybe we should have a "Tea & Coffee" or "Non-alcoholic beverages" heading in the Liquids forum.

Just changed the name of the thread from "Tea" to "Teas." Perhaps now that it's four letters, that will help to be able to find it.

The Voice of America

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE(Jaymes @ Feb 9 2010, 10:52 PM) View Post
QUOTE(SeaGal @ Feb 9 2010, 09:05 PM) View Post

Just changed the name of the thread from "Tea" to "Teas." Perhaps now that it's four letters, that will help to be able to find it.

jaymes, could you pretty pretty please move this thread to the beverages forum?

~Jack Handey

#7 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:39 AM

Your pitcher looks perfect for it.

If you use a sock, try to get one that's long and wide. The nice thing about the Hario is that the strainer goes down to the bottom of the pitcher, so the leaves have plenty of room to expand without getting all cramped up.

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:09 AM

prasantrin is a genius

these soup socks look like they'd work, too

~Jack Handey