Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:27 AM

In the immortal words of splinky:

You're not the boss of me.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,116 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:23 AM

I think David Ives's work is, on the whole, terrific.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

My impression: Impressive performances in a play with a complex and interesting structure, but more interesting for what it says about the nature of theater than it does about the nature of male-female relationships...of a certain kind.

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Feb 12 2010, 12:23 AM) View Post
I think David Ives's work is, on the whole, terrific.

We used to, too (did you see New Jerusalem?) but we have to qualify that now to "mostly terrific."

Lippy is absolutely right. As a play about the theater, it works brilliantly. As a play with a story, feh.

But I disagree with what Ranitidine said to us: I think the whole thing is the ultimate hetero male fantasty/nightmare. And Paul agreed with that. ninja.gif

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,327 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

My impression: Impressive performances in a play with a complex and interesting structure, but more interesting for what it says about the nature of theater than it does about the nature of male-female relationships...of a certain kind.

Exceptionally impressive acting. Nina Arianda's leaps from comic to claws extended were jaw dropping for me. I liked the play. It made a lot of difficult transitions, and some were visible only in retrospect.

At the Samuel J. Friedman theater, discounts available.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,327 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

The NY Times liked it...

NY Times

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#7 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:50 AM

Exceptionally impressive acting. Nina Arianda's leaps from comic to claws extended were jaw dropping for me. I liked the play. It made a lot of difficult transitions, and some were visible only in retrospect.

At the Samuel J. Friedman theater, discounts available.

There was a good profile about Arianda in The New Yorker earlier this month.
Future Legacy Participant.

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,327 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Playbill notes that this play will be staged at the Lyceum Theater through early June. This presentation will be in a for-profit context.

Venus in Fur, David Ives' dark comedy about a director auditioning a mysterious actress for a stage adaptation of an erotic novel, begins a commercial run at Broadway's Lyceum Theatre Feb. 7 following its Manhattan Theatre Company-produced not-for-profit Broadway debut in fall 2011. That limited run ended Dec. 18. Its stars — Nina Arianda and Hugh Dancy — have now reunited.

Begins February 7

...Jonathan Waxman

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,116 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

I agree with Rantidine and Paul.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

I saw it a second time. The first time, I couldn't figure out what Hilton Als referred to as the "lame subplots" about who Vanda is actually supposed to be. Charles Isherwood said in his Times review:

I’m not sure Mr. Ives himself has settled firmly on a resolution to the play’s central mystery — the motives and identity of the elusive Vanda — but who cares?

This second time through, though, it seemed absolutely clear to me that Vanda is supposed to be the actual goddess Aphrodite, come to punish Thomas for his misogyny and repression.

Did anyone else notice this?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

ah, i'm dying to see it but there is so much going on and when there isn't, i'm recovering from the craziness. hopefully i'll get there by July
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,116 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

I think it's closing in June.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

thanks. June 17. sigh
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,327 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

thanks. June 17. sigh

Unfortunately, the show might not make it that far. grosses under 50% are rarely a good indicator of a long run on or off Broadway

...Jonathan Waxman

#15 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,327 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

Roman Polanski's film version of the play is in limited release. In French.

NYT discussed the transition, and Polanski's choice of his wife Emmanuelle Seigner to play the lead.  Ms Seigner hates to wear high heels, and wore flats or boots for scenes not showing her lower reaches.

http://www.nytimes.c...l?ref=arts&_r=0

...Jonathan Waxman