#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,438 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:28 AM

today, i made blood orange-lemon syrup. fresh squoze

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 cdh

cdh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ Feb 18 2010, 02:28 AM) View Post
today, i made blood orange-lemon syrup. fresh squoze

Shiso. Bruise a bunch of purple shiso, throw it into a hot syrup and let it steep for a few minutes, then strain it out, and add lemon juice until the liquid turns bright pink. Plummy, fruity herbal... yummy.

Thai basil and lemon basil work nicely too.

#3 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:03 AM

Hibiscus! Bring 6 cups water to a boil, toss in 1 1/2 cups dried flowers. Steep for an hour and strain. Add 3/4 cup sugar if desired, but I like it very tart. Splash some in a glass with ice and top up with seltzer.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,055 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:12 AM

Diane Forley used to have a whole bunch of wonderful homemade syrups at Verbena -- in particular, I remember the lemon verbena one. I'll have to look around to see if they are listed anywhere.

Or you could. smile.gif

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

I made a pandan syrup for New Year's. It was fantastic and earthy. I bruised about 4 leaves and shredded them with a fork. Steeped for about 45 minutes...probably could have gone a little bit longer too.

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,438 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:08 AM

my new citrus juicer arrives tomorrow! also, planning to make some black tea and tisane sodas

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,438 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:27 AM

cherry-lime rickey syrup. woo hoo!

~Jack Handey

#8 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:33 AM

Anybody make it sugar free? Anybody have a recipe?
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,438 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(cristina @ Feb 28 2010, 01:33 AM) View Post

sugar is all that i have left in this world. my original recipe was 1 part sugar, 1 part water for the syrup and then 1 part of whatever juice blend. i've adjusted to 1 part water and 3/4 part sugar for the syrup. i do add a lot of soda water. you can add plain soda to any unsweetened juice that you'd willingly drink straight or diluted to give it some sparkle.

~Jack Handey

#10 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(cristina @ Feb 28 2010, 01:33 AM) View Post

I believe you can make syrup using sucralose (Splenda). And it's available in liquid form as well. I'd try adding that to whatever juice you like to make a sugar-free fruit syrup.
Andrew Fenton

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,438 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

here's a link to some recipes for splenda simple syrup and splenda soda syrup recipes.

~Jack Handey

#12 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ Feb 28 2010, 06:03 PM) View Post

Mil gracias!
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.